Last modified: 2020-02-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: san martín del tesorillo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Martín del Tesorillo - Image from the Símbolos de Cadíz website, 7 January 2020
The municipality of San Martín del Tesorillo (locally known as El Tesorillo; 2,753 inhabitants in 2018; 4,857 ha; municipal website) is located 4O km north-east of Algeciras and 30 km south-east of Jimena de la Frontera.
The municipality was established by Decree No. 181, issued on 2 October 2018 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 9 October 2018 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 196, pp. 61-75 (text).
The submunicipal entity of San Martín del Tesorillo was established by Decree No. 94, issued on 20 April 1999 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 24 April 1999 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 48, pp. 4909-4,910 (text).
The process of separation from Jimena de la Frontera was initiated by an Agreement issued on 15 May 2008 by the Village Council of San Martín del Tesorillo and published on 14 July 2008 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 139, p. 110 (text). The Municipal Council of Jimena de la Frontera approved the separation on 20 September 2012.
The establishment of the new municipality was approved on 4 August 2011 by the Cádiz Delegation Government, on 17 November 2011 by the Cádiz Provincial Council, on 14 March 2012 by the Andalusian Council of Local Concertation, and on 18 November 2015 by the Andalusian Consultative Council.
San Martín del Tesorillo emerged in the late 19th century as a colony established on the Montenegro Bajo domain, acquired in 1869 from José Álvarez de Toledo y Silva (1826-1900), 18th Duke of Medina Sidonia, by Martín Larios y Larios, the son of Martín Larios y Herreros (1798-1873; erected 1st Marquess of Larios in 1865 and President of the Sociedad Industrial y Agrícola de Guadiaro - SIAG). The first irrigation canals were built in 1872, which allowed the settlement of the first colonists; in 1879, the Rural Colony of Tesorillo was established; a special legislation exempted the colonists from some taxes and from service in the armed forces. New irrigation canals were built in 1882, as well as the summer residence of the Larios family, known as Casita de Campo (Field's Small House). The domain, incorporated in 1887 into the SIAG under the name of San Martín del Tesorillo, was dedicated to the cultivation of rice and citrus trees.
The colony status induced a strong social and economic differentiation from Jimena de la Frontera, which was increased in 1930 when Juan March acquired the Larios estate and divided it into plots acquired by colonists coming from all over Andalusia and Valencia. More recently, the proximity of El Tesorillo with the Costa del Sol induced another differentiation, the inhabitants being mostly dedicated to tourism and sports activities established in the area.
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2020
The flag and arms of San Martín del Tesorillo, adopted on 18 December 2019 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 23 January 2020 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution issued on 28 January 2020 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 11 February 2020 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 28, p. 327 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with an orange diagonal stripe bordered in blue running from the hoist's upper end to the fly's lower end. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Argent an orange tree vert fructed on a wave azure. A bordure or. The shield surmounted by a two-sided green roof.
The stripe recalls the local oranges. In 2006, orange trees and mandarin trees covered 327 ha and 58 ha, respectively, in El Tesorillo. Mean yield in oranges was 27,406 kg/ha, for a total production of 11,156 t per season. The Tesorillo oranges are exported to France, Britain and Chine.
The blue fimbriation represents the watercourses, especially the Guadiaro.
[Diario Sur, 11 November 2006]
The arms reproduce the symbols alluded to on the flag. The portico (photo,
photo) belongs to the Casita de Campo, the summer house built by the Larios family, which will be restored to serve as the Town Hall.
[EuropaSur, 23 December 2019]
The symbols were adopted in a public contest organized from 31 January to 1 April 2019. The submissions should include both a coat of arms and a flag, which should include the proposed coat of arms.
[EuropaSur, 13 February 2019]
On 6 August, it took three rounds of vote to the jury to select the winning designs among the 8 submissions. The winner was Francisco Manuel Garcína Ferrán, from Seville. A second prize was awarded to Juan Carlos P&ecute;rez Pedraza, from La Línea de la Concepción, and a third prize to Rogelio Martín Oliva, from El Tesorillo, who designed in 1999 the coat of arms of the then submunicipal entity.
The main points of discussion were the opportunity to feature a marquess' crown to represent the Larios family, the number of colors, and the introduction of new elements such as avocado and polo, which would reflect the newest sources of income for the town.
[El sitio de San Pablo de Buceite, 13 August 2019]
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2020