Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: villafruela | burgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Villafruela (236 inhabitants in 2009; 5,201 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km of Burgos.
Villafruela is probably a name of Visigothic origin, since it appeared
in the 9th-10th centuries. The oldest remains of the village's wall
date back to the 10th century, probably from the foundation of the
In 1242-1243, Villafruela belonged to the Bishop of Burgos; in 1274, King Alfonso X the Wise suppressed the toll, which allowed the villagers to build a first parish church.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2011
The flag and arms of Villafruela are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 March 2003 by the Municipal Council, signed on 18 June 2003 by the Mayor, and published on 15 July 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 135, p. 9,961 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular or 1:1. Tricolor, a golden bend of 2/10 the flag's side; the upper part blue and the lower part green. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: 1. Vert a jug argent with three lilies of the same charged with a cross patty gules, 2. Azure a pair of scales argent, a chief or charged with a tower gules and an eagle sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The coat of arms shown on the municipal website is quite different, "Gules a pair of scales or surrounded by two palms vert". The scales symbolize justice, a sign of progress and future. The martyr's palms allude to St. Lawrence, the patron saint of the village.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2011mailme.html