Last modified: 2019-02-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: torresandino |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Torresandino - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 28 February 2014
The municipality of Torresandino (778 inhabitants in 2006; 9,300 ha) is located in the southwest of the Province of Burgos, 70 km of Burgos.
Torresandino is named for a tower (torre) built in the late 9th century by Sindino (aka Sendino / Sandino); the village that emerged around the fortification was later the capital of the alfoz (group of villages) of Turres de Sendino, depending on the Counts, later Kings of Castile. On 8 August 1124, Fernando García sold Torresandino to the Bishop of Palencia, with permission of Queen Urraca. On 20 January 1174, King Alfonso VIII transferred the village to Gómez García. In October 1204, the very same Alfonso VIII granted Torresandino to the Las Huelgas monastery in Burgos, which was one of the main contributions to the increase of the monastery; the village was ruled by a commander appointed by the abbess. Torresandino must have belonged to the Las Huelgas monastery until 1876, when the abbess' jurisdiction was suppressed.
In 1979, Torresandino was the first village in Spain where the bodies of people shot by the Phalangists during the Civil War were exhumed from a common grave and officially buried (Público, 22 September 2008).
Ivan Sache, 11 April 2011
The flag of Torresandino is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 July
1998 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 23 July 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 7 August 1998 in the
official gazettee of Castilla y León, No. 150 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Perfect square banner with three colors placed horizontally. First, azure, 3:10; second, gules, 4:10; and third, or, 3:10. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed flag, recommending
not to use the heraldic vocabulary (tinctures) to describe its colors.
[Boletin de la Real Academia de la Historia 197:1,182. 2000]
The coat of arms of Torresandino is prescribed by a Decree adopted on
12 March 1998 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 16 March 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 2 April 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 63 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a tower or masoned sable port and windows azure ensigned with four six-pointed stars of the second, 2. Azure a crozier argent supported by a hand proper and a wide monk's sleeve issuant from theright, grafted in base agent wavy azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2019