Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: susinos del páramo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Susinos del Páramo - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 27 February 2014
The municipality of Susinos del Páramo (117 inhabitants in 2012; 1,145 ha; municipal website) is located in the west of the Province of Burgos, 30 km from Burgos.
Susinos del Páramo was originally known as Páramo, according to the local historians Father Flórez and Friar Justo Pérez de Urbel. The Moors would have added Susinos, meaning in Arab "among irises"; when the Moors introduced the cultivation of flax in the region, they grew the plants in areas covered with irises. The musician Antonio de Cabezón "confirmed" the Moorish origin of the village, claiming that the mass sang in Susinos "has a strong Arabic taste".
Ivan Sache, 27 February 2014
The flag and arms of Susinos del Páramo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 January 2010 by the Municipal Council and published on
24 February 2010 in the official gazette of the Province of Burgos, No. 37 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of three horizontal stripes of respective proportions 2:1:2, the upper green, the central yellow and the lower red. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, with a height of 60% of the flag's hoist.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a three-donjonned tower or masoned sable ports and windows azure, 2. Vert a watermill wheel or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The symbols were designed by Jorge Hurtado on behalf of the Spanish
Vexillological Society (document dated 4 October 2009).
The flag uses the same colours as the coat of arms. Green and red cover most of the flag because vert and gules are the colours of the field of the shield. Yellow covers less space since or is the colour of the charges of the shield. On the flag, green and red are counterchanged when compared to vert and gules on the shield, to increase the visibility of the coat of arms on the flag.
The coat of arms combines a tower, an element from a seal used in 1876 by the municipality, and a watermill wheel, a generic representation of textile industry. José María Calzada, a worker at the municipal administration, confirmed that 19 of the 71 inhabitants of the village were recorded as weavers on the Catastro de la Ensenada (1753); the neighbouring villages had none. Susinos also counted two fulling mills, another oddity in the region. The industry is still remembered by tools kept in old houses and by the toponym "Los Linares" (The Flax Fields); no loom was ever recorded, although a few might have existed in the village. Accordingly, the loom traditionally used to represent textile industry was dropped from the proposed coat of arms; the watermill wheel was preferred, as a representation of the fulling mills used by the flax weavers.
Ivan Sache, 27 February 2014