This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Milagros (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: milagros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Milagros

The municipality of Milagros (500 inhabitants in 2010; 2,204 ha; municipal website) is located 90 km of Burgos.

Milagros, probably the site of a Roman estate (villa), appeared in the written history in 1130, when García Díaz bequeathed his goods in Milagros to the San Pedro de Gumiel de Hizán monastery; in 1194, the monastery adopted the Cistercian reform and Milagros became an estate (granja) ruled by the monks. In 1418, the estate was transferred to twelve farmers who paid an annual rent to the monastery, which transferred in 1508 its rights, except the tithe, to the Counts of Miranda. In 1833, Milagros was moved from Segovia Province to Province of Burgos; the next year, the village was granted a full municipal statute. The farmers had to struggle until 1888 to get rid of the Counts of Miranda's rule and to become full owners of the land.

Milagros is the birth place of the painter José Vela Zanetti (1913-1999), who exiled in the Americas from 1939 to 1960, painting several murals in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Colombia and the USA. His masterpiece is the mural known as "The Road of Freedom" or "The Man struggling for Peace", made in 1953 for the seat of UN in New York.

Ivan Sache, 2 March 2011

Symbols of Milagros

The flag and arms of Milagros are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 19 July 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 5 October 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 17 October 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 202, p. 15,004 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1. Tricolor. Divided by a blue wavy bend of 2/10 in height. The field at hoist yellow and the rest white. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Azure a four-arched bridge argent masoned sable ensigned with a bend más bien cotiza fimbriated or charged with four fleurs- de-lis of the same and a juniper of the same eradicated fructed sable, in sinister canton an eight-pointed star or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 2 March 2011