This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valverde de Burguillos (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-10-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: valverde de burguillos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Valverde de Burguillos - Image by Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Valverde de Burguillos

The municipality of Valverde de Burguillos (273 inhabitants in 2019; 1,950 ha) is located 90 km south-east of Badajoz and 25 km north-east of Fregenal de la Sierra. For most of history, the village depended on neighboring (10 km) Valverde del Cerro.
Valverde de Burguillos was renamed from Valverde by a Royal Decree issued on 27 June 1916 and published on 2 July 1916 in Gaceta de Madrid, No. 184, pp. 11-16 (text) that amended the names of 573 Spanish municipalities to prevent confusions.

Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020

Flag of Valverde de Burguillos

The flag and arms of Valverde de Burguillos, adopted on 13 October 1997 by the Municipal Council and validated on 5 October 1998 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 22 October 1998 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 31 October 1998 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 125, pp. 7,968-7,969 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of a white triangle with vertices in the flag's upper angles and at midpoint of the flag's lower edge, green at hoist and red at fly. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a chapel argent, 2. Argent a Cross of the Order of the Temple gules. Grafted in base, Azure four waves argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The first quarter of the coat of arms features the chapel of Our Lady of the Valley, said to have belonged to a Templar convent, represented in the second quarter of the arms. The emblematic element of the chapel is the portico with a terrace, which was appended to the chapel in 1551.
[Historia de Burguillos, 19 June 2017]

Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020