Last modified: 2015-04-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: el hoyo de pinares |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of El Hoyo de Pinares, left, as used; right, as prescribed - Images by Ivan Sache, 26 January 2014
The municipality of El Hoyo de Pinares (2,449 inhabitants in 2012; 8,051 ha; municipal website) is located in the southeast of Ávila Province, on the border with the Madrid Community.
El Hoyo de Pinares is the site of the Visigothic necropolis of San
Vicente (5th-8th centuries), which includes 21 well-preserved tombs,
located near the ruined Navaserrasa chapel. There are no remains of
the Moorish period, except legends. Alfonso X the Wise chartered the
villa of El Foyo in 1273. Incorporated to the Ávila Council by the Catholic Monarchs, El Hoyo de Pinares started in 1587 the process to
regain its autonomy, which was eventually obtained under the reign of
Philip II (1621-1665).
The current name of the town was fixed in 1698.
The Castrejón pine (presentation), located on the municipal territory of El Hoyo de Pinares, was registered on the Catalogue of singular specimens of particular relevance to Castilla y León. Of the Pinus pinea L. (stone pine) species, the tree is 16 m in high, with a maximum amplitude of 26 m. Its circumference at mid height is 4.78 m, which made of the tree one of the biggest stone pines in Castilla y León and the biggest in Ávila Province. Older than 250 years, the pine produces every year some 2,000 cones.
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2014
The flag of El Hoyo de Pinares is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 21 March 2013 by the Municipal Council, signed on 15 November 2013 by the Mayor, and published on 27 November 2013 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 229, p. 78,156 (text).
The flag (image), which was approved by the 10 members who attended the session (out of 11), is described as follows:
Flag: Perfectly quadrangular, in proportions 1:1, made of a panel of heraldic green colour. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colours, argent three pines eradicated vert per fess the central one higher. The shield with a bordure gules and surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The flag is hoisted on the facade of the Town Hall, in the Council
Meeting Room (photos), on the Miguel Delibes cultural center, on the municipal
tennis hall, on the secondary school and at one of the entrances of the
town. As "usual", the flag in real use is rectangular (photo), in spite of being
"very" explicitly prescribed as square.
The Mayor explained that the green colour of the flag represents the local pinewoods (pinares).
The coat of arms of El Hoyo de Pinares is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 7 November 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 11 November 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 24 September 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 186, p. 13,951 (text).
The coat of arms, which was approved by the 9 members who attended the session (out of 11), is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent three pines eradicated vert per fess the central higher a bordure gules. The shield surmounted by a royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2014