Last modified: 2015-09-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: oria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Oria - Image from the Símbolos de Almería website, 9 May 2014
The municipality of Oria (2,777 inhabitants in 2007; 235 sq. km) is located 105 km north of Almería. The town is mostly known for its baroque church, built in 1767-1779; made a Minor Basilica by Pope Leo XIII in 1879, the church was registered in 1999 as a National Historic and Artistic Monument.
Ivan Sache, 7 April 2009
The flag of Oria, adopted on 30 December 2009 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 7 January 2010 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 January 2010 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 18 February 2010 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 33, p. 22 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3. Green, divided by a yellow cross whose arms have a height of 1/5 the flag's hoist. In the center of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, in full colours.
According to the Mayor of Oria, the Institute of Heraldry and Vexillology "Borbone" was commissioned to design the municipal flag. Based on a study of the history of the place, experts designed a flag with blue and yellow as its main colours. The flag was embroidered in Afghanistan (Teleprensa, 6 April 2009).
The coat of arms of Oria is prescribed by Royal Decree No. 3,294, adopted on 1 November 1981 and published on 12 January 1982 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 10, p.683 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Vert a castle or masoned sable, 2. Or a mount vert a cave sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The coat of arms alludes to the Collado de la Madera cave, of Neolithic orgiin, and to the remains of the Arab fortress.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Almería (PDF file)]
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 8 November 2012