This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Colegio Nacional Experimental "Benigno Malo" (Ecuador)

Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ecuador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Ivan Sache, 31 December 2020

See also:


Colegio Experimental Benigno Malo was established in Cuenca (Azuay) by a Decree issued on 16 October 1858 by the Senate and the Chamber of Representatives, as Colegio San Gregorio. The President of the Republic promulgated the Decree on 20 October 1858. The reluctance of the municipality of Cuenca prompted the Senate and the Chamber of Representatives to issue on 13 October 1863 a new Decree ordering the municipality to "establish as soon as possible the National School created by the Law promulgated on 16 October 1858."

Juan Bautista Vásquez, Representative for Azuya, who had pushed the project since 1853, was named first Rector of the school in 1864. Classes started in a building acquired from the Order of Saint Dominic on 30 January 1864. The black and white colors were granted to the school as a tribute to the Order.

In 1869, the school was transferred to the Society of Jesus, with the Italian father Miguel Franco as its rector. Renamed to Colegio Nacional San Luis, it was relocated into a building offered by the Society of Jesus. After the expelling of the Jesuits from the country by the liberal government in 1876, the school returned to its original premises and Juan Bautista Vásquez was re-established as its rector.

In 1920, the National Congress renamed the school for the Cuenca-born diplomat and politician Benigno Malo (1807-1870), first rector of the University of Cuenca and Senator for Azuay.
School website

Ivan Sache, 31 December 2020


The flag of Colegio Nacional Experimental Benigno Malo is horizontally divided white-black with the school's emblem in the center.


Ivan Sache, 31 December 2020