Last modified: 2020-10-10 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: landsberg(county) | eagle(golden) | lion(red) | chief | lozengy(white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a yellow-red verical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Linder and Schmidt 2000
Stefan Schwoon, 10 July and 21 Sep 2001
Shield parted per pale, at dexter Gules an eagle Or, at sinister Argent a lion rampant Gules, chief lozengy of Argent and Azure.
The arms combine in the lower part the golden eagle on red of the Counts of Andechs-Dießen and the red lion on silver of the Welfen kin. The former owned large areas in the eastern part of the county, whereas the latter had possessions around the Lechrain District (the right bank of the river between Augsburg and Lechbruck) in the Nothwest. The colours are not original, they are the colours of the Bishopric of Augsburg, ato which the county historically belonged. The chief displays the lozengy arms of Bavaria and the Wittelsbach kin, who acquired the region from the two other families during the 13th century and extended the Landsberg to a fortified city.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.55
Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003
The county was largely unchanged by the 1972 municipal reform and kept its symbols: arms and flag were confirmed on 3 October 1972. The coat of arms was approved on 9 October 1953 and confirmed on 3 October 1972. The banner was approved on 30 November 1959 and confirmed on 3 October 1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 21 Sep 2001 and Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here