Last modified: 2018-01-31 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: geislingen/steige | rose(red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 June 2013
3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Jan 2018
It is a black - white vertical bicolour. In the centre of the banner is a red heraldic rose, seeded golden (= yellow) and barbed green. If there would be also a flag, it would be an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Sources: this online catalogue (right banner); spotted by Stefan Schwoon on 13 July 2003 at the entrance of an air force exhibition (left banner)
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 June 2013 / 13 Jan 2018
Shield parted per fess into Sable over Argent, over all a heraldic rose Gules, barbed Vert and seeded Or.
The first description of the arms of Geislingen dates from 13 August 1367 in a document by Count Ulrich of Helfenstein, in which he determines in detail the seals and arms of his city. The seal is supposed to be smaller than the main seal of the count, but larger than his smallest seal. The seals should show the arms of the city, which were identical to the arms of the count, except for the addition of a crown on the shield. The arms displayed a white elephant on a mountain and a crest with a elephant rampant issuant. The seal has been used at least until 1408, even though the city had become a possession of the city of Ulm in 1396. In 1422 the arms were replaced by the arms of the city of Ulm, probably also containing the superimposed rose. The rose is either an attribute of St. Mary, the local patron saint, or it is a mere distinguishing mark.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.44
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 June 2013
back to Göppingen cities and municipalities click here