This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Uttenreuth Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Uttenreuth, Landkreis Erlangen-Höchstadt, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-09-18 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: uttenreuth | mattock | star(6-point) | fleur-de-lis(white) | demi-millwheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Uttenreuth municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Sep 2021
See also:

Uttenreuth Municipality

Uttenreuth Banner

It is a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Sep 2021

Uttenreuth Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, two mattocks Or in saltire flanked by two 6-point stars of the same and superimposed by a fleur-de-lis Argent, base wavy Or charged with a lower demi-millwheel Sable.
The mattocks (local language: Reuten) are canting and referring to the fact that Uttenreuth was established by forest clearance in a former imperial forest. The fleur-de-lis is taken from the arms of the Strobel family from Uttenreuth, who lived in the village during the 13th and 14th century. It is alsoalluding to the Dominican Nunnery of Frauenaurach, which had been the local manorial lord. The stars are taken from the personal arms of Johann Friedrich Esper, who had been the local parish priest between 1764 and 1779. He is known as originator of the palaeontologic spelaeology in the Franconian Switzerland. The municipality was located on the border of the Margraviate of Brandenburg-Ansbach and the Archbishopric of Bamberg, represented by their tinctures red and white (Brandenburg) and yellow and black (Bamberg). The latter are also alluding to the Uttenruthia Fraternity at the University of Erlangen, which had been established in Uttenreuth in 1835. The base wavy is alluding to the location at the Erlanger Schwabach, a creek, and the numerous watermills in the past.
Source: "Der Landkreis Erlangen-Höchstadt", Hof 1979, pp.166-169
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Sep 2021

Banner and arms were approved on 10 January 1984 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Mittelfranken.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Sep 2021

back to Erlangen-Höchstadt cities and municipalities click here