Last modified: 2013-04-13 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: heilbronn | stadt heilbronn | tricolour |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The city of Heilbronn-am-Neckar (pop. 110,000) apparently uses a horizontal red-white-blue flag, in proportion 1:2. It appears on the municipal website. It is not clearly stated that this is the municipal flag, so confirmation is needed. If you browse further through the website, there is also a coat-of-arms, basically a German eagle charged with a horizontally-divided red-white-blue escutcheon.
Ivan Sache, 24 October 1999
According to Stadler 1964-1971 the flag is red-white-blue, thus a banner of the inescutcheon in the arms.
Stefan Schwoon, 4 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Heilbronn was founded in 1220 as a royal city by emperor Friedrich II. In 1281 it became a free imperial city. As all free Imperial cities Heilbronn used the imperial eagle in its seals. (...) Most imperial cities use a breast-shield to distinguish the arms. For Heilbronn a small shield with the letters H and B was used until 1556. In that year the three-coloured shield appears in images and architecture in the city. At first the colours were blue-silver [white]-red, which in the 19th century were replaced by the present red-silver [white]-blue. The meaning or origin of the colours is not known.
Literature: Stadler 1971, p.51.
Santiago Dotor, 10 January 2002
back to Baden-Württemberg counties and municipalities click here