Last modified: 2023-03-18 by martin karner
Keywords: kemmental | thurgau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Standing in nine places over a yellow base of black and yellow, covered by a lowered
blue wavy bar with a white border.
After the new political municipality of Kemmental was created in 1996 (see old communes below), a new municipal flag/coat of arms was created in 2001. The upper part is divided into nine stripes and is symbolically reminiscent of the rising sun over the Kemmental. The Kemmenbach occupies a dominant position. The number of stripes refer to the former local communities (including Dippishausen-Oftershausen, which merged with Siegershausen in 1984).
Party per saltire by black and red, covered by white cross extending to the edges.
The cross and the colours refer to the old sovereign rights: Diocese of Constance, city of Constance and Swiss Confederation.
Under red shield head, covered with striding yellow lion, in white a black cross.
The cross shows the affiliation to the city of Constance, the lion refers to the dominion of Thurgau.
Split of yellow and blue, covered with a red-white split fork-shaped oak branch with three leaves.
The oak branch refers to the place name, which goes back to a dead oak tree. The colours refer to the power relations to Weinfelden and to the bailiwick.
In black braided white basket, filled with yellow apples.
Until 1798 the village belonged to the court of the city of Constance. This court showed in its seal a basket of breads for the poor. The breads have been replaced by apples in order to indicate the importance of fruit growing in the canton.
In yellow black rampant lion with red tongue.
Adoption of the coat of arms of the Lords of Hugelshofen, servants of the bishop of Constance.
Divided by red and yellow with three (2,1) poppy capsules in alternate colours.
The poppy capsules refer to the sale of the fief to the Pfefferhart siblings (However Pfeffer means pepper, not poppy). The colours correspond to those of the bailiwick.
In red a white halberd with black shaft emerging from the base.
The emblem commemorates the greatest event in Neuwilen, the Swiss military camp during the Swabian War (1499). The halberd was the main weapon of the old Swiss.
In white a red cross gyronny.
The Bishop of Constance was forced to sell Siegershausen to the Lords of Roggwil from 1364 to 1452. These introduced a very similar coat of arms: gyronny by white and red.