Last modified: 2023-02-25 by martin karner
Keywords: pfyn | thurgau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
In red, three left-turned yellow arrows with white tips and fletching.
In 1941 the flag/coat of arms, which had been in use until then, was redrawn and the three arrows turned to the left.
As with the Pfynwald (Pfyn forest) in Valais, the name goes back to the Roman ad fines ("on the border", meaning between the provinces of Raetia and Gaul). Finds from around 4000 to 3500 BC gave this period the name Pfyn culture. Pfyn is one of the oldest settlements in Eastern Switzerland. Since the Gallo-Romans, some of whom had already become Christians in the 3rd century, came together in the Roman fort, Pfyn also had one of the first churches in Thurgau.