Last modified: 2020-07-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: matane | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Matane has a population of 14,100 inhabitants, 195.64 km²
Matane was already used in the 17th century by fur traders from La Rochelle
(France), who were the first Europeans to overwinter there. In 1677, the king of
France granted the domain of Matane to Mathieu d'Amours de Chauffours. During
the British rule established in 1781, the domain was successively owned until
1854 by Donald Mc Kinnon, Simon Fraser, Jane McCallum and Dugald Fraser; at the
same time, coastal navigation between Matane, Gaspé and Quebec was increased.
In the last half of the 19th century, wooden rolls, spindles and coils were exported from Matane to Europe. Industrialization boomed in the 20th century following the establishment of the railway and the building of a sea port in the estuary of river Matane.
Matane was granted the status of town in 1937. After the Second World War, Matane's tradesmen, as did their ancestors in Brittany and Normandy, increased economic and maritime connections with the northern coast of river Saint-Lawrence. A scheduled ferry line was established in 1962 for pedestrians and car, supplemented in 1978 by a railway ferry.
Ivan Sache, 12 June 2020
White flag with the coat-of-arms and the name of the town below.
Olivier Touzeau, 11 June 2020
The coat of arms of Matane, selected among three proposals submitted by the
Matane Society of History and Genealogy to Drouin Institute, was presented on 22
January 1957 to the Municipal Council. It was designed by Charles-Édouard Vézina,
founder and archivist of the Matane Society of History and Genealogy.
"Argent a beaver resting on a log proper in chief a label gules in base three spearheads sable in fess. The shield surrounded by maple leaves vert with nervature sable crossed in saltire and supporting a scroll argent inscribed with the motto "Le succès dans l'effort".
The beaver symbolizes ardor to work, tenacity, courage, determination and success. It also symbolizes Matane's first industry, timber industry, and the barrages erected on river Matane.
As a simple element, the beaver personifies the town, and the purest and noblest ideal rooted in the origins of its foundation. Matane is derived from the Miqmaq word "Metan", meaning, "Beavers' Den".
The beaver is the living symbol of Canada's fauna; it surmounted the shield of the kepi of the first Canadian Expeditionary Force, in which Matane was significantly represented. The beaver is also featured on the coat of arms of the Matane Society of History and Genealogy, a philanthropic society established in 1949. The beaver also symbolizes fur trade at the Miqmaq's times, at the origin of Matane.
The log symbolizes Matane's first and principal industry, timber industry.
The red label comes from the arms of Mathieu d'Amours et des Chauffours, first lord of Matane. So are the three spearheads, representing the Passion's Three Nails.
The maple leaf symbolizes the Canadian citizen's geographical, ethnic and historical features. It also symbolizes the forests' splendor and beauty. As an element of beauty, it shall invite the citizens to ever embellish their domains.
The French motto reads "Success through Effort".
Mathieu Damours de Chauffours (1618-1695), born from a noble family of Anjou (France), landed in Quebec in 1651. Appointed Major of Quebec, he was named on 18 September 1663 member of the Sovereign Council, where he would seat until his death.
In 1681, Damours was accused by Governor de Frontenac to have brought back from Matane more goods than he had been allowed to do and jailed for two months in St. Louis Castle.
Damours acquired the domain of Matane on 8 November 1672, where he did not develop anything but fisheries.
Dictionnaire biographique du Canada. Volume I (1000-1700)
Ivan Sache, 12 June 2020
image by Marc Pasquin, 22 December 2015
The flag of the Polyvalente de Matane is based on a picture of it. A
polyvalente, within the Quebec education system, is a dual stream
secondary-level school that contain both general and trade training.
The flag is simply the logo of the institution, a combined stylized "P" and "M" on a white field.
Marc Pasquin, 22 December 2015