Last modified: 2022-04-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: saint-alexandre | le haut-richelieu | montérégie | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Saint-Alexandre (2,469 inhabitants in 2016; 7,630 ha) is
located 15 km south-east of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu.
Saint-Alexandre was canonically erected a parish, on 8 November 1850. The civil parish was erected on 13 January 1851, then with 2,203 people and 356 houses.
The parish municipality of Saint-Alexandre was established on 1 July 1855; so was the village municipality of Saint-Alexandre on 16 September 1915. The two entities were merged to form the municipality of Saint-Alexandre on 17 September 1988.
Ivan Sache, 16 May 2020
Flag visible at
White flag with coat of arms.
Olivier Touzeau, 15 May 2020
The arms of Saint-Alexandre are "Or a saltire escutcheony gules charged with
four crescents acorny argent superimposed with a bishop's miter argent.
The escutcheons on the cross are the conventional representation of protection shields, alluding to the Greek meaning of Alexander, Men's Protector.
The miter and the crescents represent the town's patron saint, St. Alexander, bishop of Alexandria (Egypt).
The Latin motto placed on a scroll beneath the shield, "Fidelitas and fides vicunt", reads "Loyalty and Faith Shall Triumph".
St. Alexander (d. 326), Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria expelled from the church the heresiarch Arius, "perverted by heretic impiety, refuted by divine truth". With his deacon (and subsequently, successor as the Patriarch of Alexandria), St. Athanasius, he joined the Council of Nicaeus, during which he obtained from the 318 members the confirmation of the anathema of Arius.
Ivan Sache, 16 May 2020
image by Masao Okazaki, 14 March 2022
There is a logo flag outside the city hall.
Dave Fowler, 14 March 2022
The logo, adopted in 2013, represents the place's two most important
resources: people living there and agriculture.
The logo can be seen as shaped like a grain ear or a leaf. Left, the four standing persons represent the municipality's inhabitants and family. The different colors highlight the diversity and forces of people living in Saint-Alexandre. The right part represents agriculture and the green spaces that make of Saint-Alexandre a good place to live in. In the center is represented the Grande Ligne, which crosses integrally Saint-Alexandre. The logo points upwards to emphasize a vision for the future and Saint-Alexandre's projects of development.
Chemin de la Grande Ligne (Great Line Road) was designed in 1843 by the government of Lower-Canada to connect Saint-Athanase and Notre-Dame de Standbridge. It was used in 1905 by the first car ever seen in Saint-Alexandre.
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2022