This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tracadie-Sheila, New Brunswick (Canada)

Last modified: 2017-04-10 by rob raeside
Keywords: tracadie-sheila | new brunswick |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Tracadie-Sheila flag] image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2017

See also:

The municipality

The municipality of Tracadie-Sheila (4,922 inhabitants in 2011, 2,465 ha), established in northern New Brunswick on 1 January 1992 as the merger of the town of Tracadie and the village of Sheila, was suppressed on 1 July 2014 to form two (out of the eight) sectors of the new regional municipality of Tracadie (15,843 inh.).

Tracadie is named for the Mi'kmaq word "telagadik", "a camp". The place was indeed used by the natives as a shelter during hunting and fishing campaigns. The first French-speaking settlers of the place were Michel Bastarche and his son-in-law, Joseph Saulnier, who left Memramcook in 1785; they were joined the next year by English-speaking colonists, the Scots William and Thomas Ferguson and the Irish Charles McLaughlin. The village was successively known as Tregate (1604), Tregatay (1632), Tracadille (1794), Tracady (1845), and eventually Tracadie (1851). The last change appears to have been pushed by the parish priest, François-Xavier Lafrance, and the French-speaking majority in the village. The leper-house of Tracadie was erected in 1849 by the parish priest, succeeding a first establishment built in 1844 on Sheldrake Island, Miramichi Bay. Lepers from Canada and other countries were healed in Tracadie until 1965. The municipality of Tracadie was incorporated in 1966.

Sheila was originally known as Ferguson's Point. Several sources claim that Foster, the wealthy owner of the Foster mill, obtained from the post administration the renaming of the local post office for his daughter, Sheila. The village of Sheila was incorporated on 1 October 1978. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2017

Description of the flag

From the Tracadie-Shelia website:

The maple leaf clearly identifies Tracadie-Sheila as a Canadian city and this is important especially during international events.

The two lions represent the union of the two dynamic communities, Tracadie and Sheila. They also symbolize the courage and determination of the people who want to continue to build the community.

The star in the blue sky refers to the Acadian flag and to the rich cultural aspect of the region.

The green areas between the two rivers shows us that the town is dedicated to the protection of the environment.The quality of life of its citizens is a high priority.

The two rivers a geographical characteristic are specifically to the town of Tracadie-Sheila, since the "little Tracadie River" and the "Big Tracadie River" include the new community. Eventually, a green area, between two blue areas could serve as the official colors of the town.

Last but not least, a shield frames the Coasts of Arms and this shows the whole community united under the same emblem.

reported by Olivier Touzeau, 19 April 2005

Ivan Sache, 28 March 2017

Regional Municipality of Tracadie

[Tracadie-Shelia flag] image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2017

The regional municipality of Tracadie uses the same logo as the former municipality of Tracadie-Sheila. The writing beneath the shield was suppressed, while "TRACADIE" was added between the shield and the crest. The municipal flag was changed, accordingly, and inaugurated on 1 July 2015 during the celebration of the 1st anniversary of the establishment of the regional municipality. - Acadie Nouvelle, 1 July 2015

Ivan Sache, 28 March 2017