Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | guaíra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
1 January 2013
The flag of Guaíra is a green flag with a white-fimbriated red off-centered cross with a white disk at the intersection of the arms, bearing the municipal arms.The municipality of Guaíra (37,404 inhabitants in 2010; 12,587 ha) is located in northeastern São Paulo State, 450 km of São Paulo.
Guaíra was founded in 1901 by Antônio Marques Garcia, João Garcia de
Carvalho Leal and José Dias Nogueira on a piece of land offered by
Joaquim Garcia Franco and his wife Maria Sabério Alves Franco. The
settlement was originally named Corredeira de São Sebastião and
subsequently renamed Corredeira do Bom Jardim.
Aristides Roja claims that the name of the place comes from the
Quechua word "huayra" meaning "wind". However, the inhabitants of the
town prefer the etymology linked to a Tupi-Guarani word meaning
"running water", "stream"; or "waterfall" (in Portuguese, "corredeira").
The district of Guaíra was established by State Law No. 1,144 of 25
November 1908, as part of the municipality of Orlândia, with its seat
The municipality of Guaíra was established by Law No. 2,328 of 29
December 1928 and inaugurated on 18 May 1929.
http://www.novositeprefeituraguaira.com/?page_id=677 - Municipal website
The flag of Guaíra is prescribed by Municipal Law of 5 May 1978. The coat of arms placed on the flag inscribed in a white disk establishes the heraldic link between the coat of arms and the flag. The disk represents the town. White is a symbol of peace, harmony, work, purity and firmness. The arms of the cross represent the municipal power spreading all over the municipal territory. The green quarters represent the fertile lands of Guaíra.
The flag is in dimension 14 units x 20 units. The two white vertical fimbriations are placed at 3/4 of the 4th unit and at the onset of the 8th unit, respectively. Their width is 0.25 unit. The center of the disk is placed in the middle of the 6th unit, its radius is of 3 units. The two white horizontal fimbriations are each placed 1.5 unit from the horizontal median of the flag. Their width is 0.25 unit.
http://www.novositeprefeituraguaira.com/?page_id=1864 - Municipal website
Photos of the flag:
The coat of arms of Guaíra is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 829 of
27 April 1970.
The Portuguese shield is surmounted by a mural crown representing a
The chief is gules (red) with a cross, symbol of the Christian
feelings of the people. It is separated from the main field by a fess
wavy azure (blue), representing river Corredeira, for which the town
was originally named. The field vert (green) [charged with a plow
argent] highlights agriculture.
The shield is supported dexter by a plant of maize and sinister by a
plant of cotton, representing the main crops in the municipality.
The scroll is charged with the name of the municipality surrounded by
the years of establishment of the district and of the municipality,
respectively, all gules.
http://www.novositeprefeituraguaira.com/?page_id=1871 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2013