Last modified: 2013-05-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | mairinque |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Mairinque originates in a small emergency post erected in 1875 by
Metheus Maylasky near the small railway station serving the Alumínio
cement works. Francisco de Paula Mayrink, President of "Companhia
Sorocabana", established a village made of 100 small houses, all of
the same design, inaugurated on 27 October 1890. At the time, the
village counted two small shops, a pharmacy and a school, the first
ever built in the region, aimed at teaching the children of the
railway workers. The village was originally named Canguera, from the
old Canguera estate; in Tupi-Guarani, "canguera" means "a skeleton",
which seems to indicate that a native cemetery once existed there. The
village was renamed in 1891 Manduzinho, the nickname of Manuel da
Costa Nunes, a former owner of the Canguera estate. The name was
changed again in 1892 for Mayrink, a tribute to the town's founder,
changed back in 1897 to Manduzinho, and eventually back to Mayrink in
1900. The district of Mayrink was established in 1909, as part of the
municipality of São Roque.
The municipality of Mairinque was established by State Law No. 5,121
of 31 December 1958.
http://www.camaramunicipaldemairinque.com.br - Website of the Municipal Council
The symbols of Mairinque are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal
Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms
and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".
http://www.camaramunicipaldemairinque.com.br/default.asp?action=leiorganica - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Mairinque is vertically divided green-white-blue (1:2:1), with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The flag appears to be used in two versions, indoors with a light blue stripe, outdoors with a standard blue stripe.
Ivan Sache, 16 April 2013
image by Ivan Sache, 26 April 2013
The variant has a deeper blue hoist stripe.