Last modified: 2012-12-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itapevi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
16 November 2012
Horizontally striped, red-green-white-red, ratio 1-1-4-1, with the municipal arms in the centre of the white stripe.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 16 November 2012
Itapevi (in Tupi-Guarani, "a smooth stone") was established around 1850 as a borough of the town of Cotia. The first settlers of the place were the Abreu family. In 1875, Emperor Peter II inaugurated the railway station of Cotia, then a small, straw-roofed hut. On 12 October 1920, the local politician Joaquim Nunes Filho ("Nho Quim") obtained the establishment of the district. In 1940, Carlos de Castro purchased from Joaquim Nunes Filho a piece of land where he established Parque Suburbano and Jardim Bela Vista, boosting the urbanization of the town. In 1945, the name of the Cotia station was changed to Itapevi to end confusion with the town of Cotia. The municipality of Itapevi was established in 1958 and inaugurated on 18 February 1959.
The flag of Itapevi is white with a thin horizontal red stripe at the top and the bottom, a thin horizontal green stripe just below the upper red stripe, inscribed with "ITAPEVI" in white letters, and the municipal coat of arms in the white field.
Photos of the flag
http://ojornalnovaoeste.blogspot.fr/2012/05/dezoito-atletas-de-itapevi-se.html - May 2012 http://spnoticias.com.br/index.php?q=node/5687/lightbox2 - 9 February 2012 http://noticiasjudo2011.blogspot.fr/2011/05/cidade-de-itapevi-conquista-o-vice-no.html - 24 May 2011 http://www.saopaulo.sp.gov.br/spnoticias/lefotos.php?id=6423 - 30 November 2007
The coat of arms of Itapevi is prescribed by Law No. 7 of 20 May 1961. "Portuguese, rounded-off shield, quarterly, 1. Vert a key and a halberd argent crossed per saltire, 2. Gules a locomotive proper, 3. Gules a gear wheel or, 4. Vert a fess wavy argent. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent. The shield surrounded by a scroll gules inscribed with ' 19-10-1920 / LABOR ET PROGRESSUM [Work and Progress] - ITAPEVI / 18-2-1959."
The Portuguese shield recalls the Lusitianian tradition and the colonization of Brazil in the 16th century. The key and the halberd evoke Sts. Peter and Jude Thaddeus, the patron saints of the municipality., as well as the spiritual and Christian feelings of the inhabitants. The locomotive is modelled on the "Baroness", the first that arrived in the Itapevi railway station, recalling that the town emerged from the station and developed mostly thanks to the railway. The cog wheel symbolizes industry as the main source of income of the town. The fess wavy represents river Barueri-Mirim watering the town. Vert (green) is a symbol of hope, abundance and liberty. Gules (red) is a symbol of valour, struggle, intrepidity, audacity and strong-mindedness. Argent is a symbol of purity, ideal, integrity, eloquence and nobleness. Or is a symbol of wealth, force, faith and constancy.
Old image of the coat of arms
Ivan Sache, 17 November 2012