This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ipeúna, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ipeúna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Ipeúna, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 12 November 2012

See also:

About the Flag

Gyronny of blue and green with narrow yellow borders between all field boundaries and with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 12 November 2012

The municipality of Ipeúna (6,016 inhabitants in 2010; 19,053 ha) is located 200 km of São Paulo.

Ipeúna originates in the the establishment in 1890 by Vicente Barbosa of a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Conception. The district of Santa Cruz da Boa Vista, part of the municipality of São João do Rio Claro, was established on 30 April 1894 by Law no. 262. The very same district was reestablished under the name of Passa Cinco in 1897; the new name, lit. "Cross No. 5", recalls that the road from São João do Rio Claro to Santa Cruz crossed five times river Claro, the fifth cross being known as Passa Cinvo. The two names of the district were replaced by a new one, Ipojuca (Dirty Water), on 13 October 1906 by Law no. 1,011, changed again on 30 November 1944 by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 to Ipeúna (Black Ipê). "ipê" is used to name different trees belonging to the Tabebuia genus. The municipality of Ipeúna was established on 28 February 1964 by State Law no. 8,092.

The flag of Ipeúna is a gyronny of eight pieces, in turn green and blue, separated by a yellow fimbriation. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms.

The coat of arms of Ipeúna is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 6 of 26 August 1965. "Shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown argent, per fess wavy argent, 1. Vert three crosses or per bend, 2. Azure an 'ipê' argent on rocks or. The shield supported dexter by a sugarcane and sinister by three stems of rice. Below the shield a scroll azure charged with the motto 'CUM LABORE VINCES' surrounded by the years '1894' (establishment of the district) and '1965' (establishment of the municipality) all sable." - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 13 November 2012