Last modified: 2013-04-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | holambra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 5 April 2013
Holambra was founded on 14 July 1948 by Dutch colonists, on a 5,000 ha
piece of land purchased on 15 June 1948 from the Ribeirão Estate. Led
by J. Gerrt Heymeyer, the colony established the "Cooperativa Agro
Pecuária Holambra", the name of Holambra being formed by the first
letters of "Holland", "America" and "Brazil", respectively. In spite
of the support of the Dutch government, the colony experienced hard
times, so that several Dutch colonists went back to Europe or moved
southwards, being replaced by Brazilian colonists.
Gladiolus cultivation started in 1951, but the production became
successful only in 1958-1965. The cooperative established in 1972 a
department specialized in the growing and sale of several other
flowers. Holambra is today the main flower exporter in South America,
representing 4% of the national production and 80% of the national
export. The Holambra flower auction is modelled on the Aalsmeer flower
The municipality of Holambra was inaugurated on 1 January 1992,
following a plebiscite held on 27 October 1991.
The flag of Holambra is diagonally divided, per bend sinister, orange-white-green with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 5 April 2013