Last modified: 2013-12-07 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | Álvares florence |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
4 March 2013
Based on an image contributed on 3 February 2013 to Wikimedia Commons by "Prefeitura Municipal" http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bandeira_Álvares_Florence.png
Álvares Florence originates in the village of São João Batista do Marinheiro, founded at the end of the 19th century. The district of Vila Monteiro, part of the municipality of Tanabi, was established in 1926. On 30 December 1944, the district, transferred to the newly formed municipality of Votuporanga, was renamed Igapira. The municipality of Álvares Florence was established on 24 December 1948 and inaugurated on 10 April 1949. It was named for Francisco Álvares Florence (1896-1948), elected President of the State Assembly on 13 May 1948 and deceased shortly after (31 July 1948) in a car accident.
The flag of Álvares Florence is white with a green off-centered cross. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk bordered in green and charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Photo of the flag
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2013