Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | corupá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 2 November 2021
The municipality of Corupá (15,337 ihabitants in 2018; 40,500 ha) is located
200 km north-west of Florianópolis.
Corupá was established in 1895 by Companhia Hanseática de Colonização, as Hansa Humboldt, named for the German naturalist Alexander von Humboldt. The very first settlers, Otto Hillbrecht, his son and Wilhelm Ehrhardt purchased plots No. 6, 7 and 1, respectively. From Germany, they disembarked in São Francisco do Sul on 30 June 1897; on 7 July 189, they sailed on a boat via river Itapocu until the confluence of rivers Humboldt and Novo. They eventually walked a forest trail until a hut where they were welcomed by land surveyor Eduard Kirsch.
The district of Hansa Humboldt was established on 11 May 1908, to be renamed to Corupá by State Law No. 941 promulgated on 31 December 1943. The municipality of Corupá was established by State Decree-Law No. 348 promulgated on 21 June 1958, and inaugurated on 25 July 1958.
Ivan Sache, 2 November 2021
A white flag with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 3 June 2012
The flag of Corupá is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 305 promulgated on 22
The color of the flag is white, charged in the center with the municipality's official coat of arms. The dimensions are 1.30 m on 0.80 m.
White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
The coat of arms represents the municipal government.
The coat of arms of Corupá is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 239 promulgated on 2 April 1973.
The coat of arms is composed of a shield surmounted by a crown representing the rank of town. The shield is divided into four quarters.
The first (upper left) quarter features a blue waterfall, green trees and light gray rocks, symbolizing energy for exploration.
The second (upper right) quarter features a greenish hill covered with lush plantations and rocks, and a bright golden yellow rising sun meaning ascension for a better life.
The third (lower left) quarter features a green banana tree with a bunch of yellow ripe bananas and greenish plantations, symbolizing exports.
The fourth (lower right) quarter features chimneys releasing light grayish smoke and a factory with dark yellow and brown buildings. A man and a young lady clad with dark clothes, surrounded by lilac orchids, symbolizing progress through industry, the man representing the industry's work and brain. The young lady surrounded by orchids and foliage represents through her beauty the town's tourism potential.
Ivan Sache, 2 November 2021