Last modified: 2021-12-04 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | braço do norte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
24 May 2012
The municipality of Braço do Norte (31,319 inhabitants in 2014; 23,391 ha) is
located 160 km south-west of Florianópolis. The municipal territory was
increased by 2,971 ha through State Law No. 11,227 promulgated on 20 November
1999, which transferred the communities of Lado da União, Rio Glória Baixo, Rio
Glória Alto (pro parte) and Rio Cachorrinhos from Orleans to Braço do Norte.
Braço do Norte was first settled in 1862. The town was delimited in 1877 by land surveyor Carlos Othon Schlappal.
The district of Braço do Norte was established by Municipal Law No. 1,217 promulgated on 2 October 1888, and inaugurated on 17 May 1892.
The town was renamed in June 1926 to Collaçopolis, after a former Mayor of Tubarão, to re-adopt its original name in July 1928. The municipality of Braço do Norte was established by State Law No. 231 promulgated on 22 October 1955.
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021
Horizontally divided green-blue-green, with the municipal arms in the centre in a yellow lozenge.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 24 May 2012
The flag and arms of Braço do Norte are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 66
promulgated on 15 September 1970.
The arms are composed of a green shield divided by a blue stripe, charged with a light gray cogwheel, a dark gray circular saw, a maize cob, tobacco leaves, cassava roots and a fructed branch of orange proper, the symbol of commerce in its proper color; beneath, a red fluctuating stripe [scroll] inscribed in white "Braço do Norte".
The flag of the municipality is composed of two green and one blue stripes, placed horizontally, charged with a central lozenge of 0.80 m x 0.50 m inscribing the emblem of the municipality.
The dimensions of the flag shall be 1.20 m on 0.90 m.