Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | jaraguá do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz
The municipality of Jaraguá do Sul (181,173 inhabitants in 2020, therefore
Santa Catarina's 8th most populated municipality; 53,259 ha) is located 180 km
north-west of Florianópolis.
Jaraguá do Sul was established in 1875 by Emilio Carlos Jourdan, a Belgian-born engineer and honorary colonel in the Brazilian army, who was invited to survey and register an area of 25 square leagues in the
Itapocú valley; at the same time, he signed a private lease contract for 430 ha of lands with imperial princess Isabel. The survey was achieved within 50 days between February and April 1876. With the help of 60 workers, Jourdan initiated sugarcane cultivation and built a sugar mill, a saw mill and a cassava mill. The Jaraguá Establishment was incorporated to Joinville on 17 April 1883. Upset, Jourdan left in 1888 and the establishment was suppressed in 1893.
In the aftermath of his support to the 1893 Revolution led by Marshal Floriano Peixoto, Jourdan required from the Governor of Santa Catarina the grant of 10,000 ha to re-establish the Jaraguá colony, which was accepted on 15 May 1895. Facing difficulties on the delimitation of the concession and political adversity, Jourdan sold his estate on 1 June 1898 to Pecher & Cia and retired in Rio de Janeiro.
The district of Jaraguá was established in 1895, depending on Joinville, to be transferred to Paraty in 1896. Some inhabitants attempted to establish a new municipality that would be named Glória, merging with Barra Velha, but Jaraguá was eventually re-established as Joinville's 2nd district.
The inauguration of the railway in 1910 boosted the industrial development of Jaraguá and a pro-emancipation movement emerged in the 1930s.
The municipality of Jaraguá was established by State Decree No. 565 issued on 26 March 1934 and inaugurated on 8 April 1934, to be renamed to Jaraguá do Sul by Decree No. 941 issued in 1943.
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021
The flag of Jaraguá do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 221 promulgated
on 14 October 1969.
The flag shall be with a white cross in dimensions 0.433 m x 1.30 m (vertical) and O.4333 m x 1.90 m (horizontal), charged in the center with the coat of arms of Jaraguá do Sul prescribed by Law No. 203 promulgated on 29 November 1968, in full colors and width 0.60 m, the red and green colors being arranged as follows [...].
The municipal flag of Jaraguá do Sul shall be quartered by a cross and its colors shall have the following meaning.
The white color, shaped like a cross, identifies the people's Christian spirit that fosters friendship, purity, prosperity and work. In the cross' center, the coat of arms represents the municipal government and symbolizes the town as the seat of the municipality.
The red quarters identify fire burning in industrial ovens and highlights the nickname of Metropolis of Dynamism. It also means valiance, intrepidity, audacity, dedication, courage and love of the inhabitants. The green quarters identify the forests with their innumerable small rural estates. It also means hope, abundance, civility, courtesy, triumph, honor, glee and highlights the nicknames of Rice Queen and Pearl of the Itapocú Valley.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Jaraguá do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 203 promulgated on 29 November 1968.
Imagined by Eugenio Vitor Schmockel and drawn by Moacyr Silva, the coat of arms is described as follows.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Jaraguá do Sul consists in a classical Portuguese shield, symbolizing the primitive ethnic origin, surmounted by a five-towered mural crown emphasizing the rank of town.
The shield is divided in four quarters by a yellow cross recalling Christian faith, with the motto "Grandeza pelo Trabalho" (Greatness Through Work).
The first quarter represents the town's nickname, Pearl of the Itapocú (Valley), featuring the Boa Vista hill in bluish green, the valley in light green, and river Itapocú by a wavy silver stripe.
The second quarter represents the nickname Rice Queen, unofficially adopted in a contest, featuring a colonist prepared to work, a sugarcane, the primitive resource that once covered practically the whole area of the modern town; and a maize cob, one of the main resources produced by the municipality for years, especially from 1915 to 1925, then exported on a large scale all over the country; the whole surmounted by two fructed rice plants, the present-day's crop resource, all proper on a greenish white background.
The third quarter represents the officially adopted nickname, ranked third in the contest, Metropolis of Dynamism, featuring a symbolic industrial complex, representing industry that develop swiftly, currently involving 240 factories manufacturing some 90 different products, under a sky of the basic color of the first quarter.
The fourth quarter is diagonally divided into two parts, the first representing a tribute to the founder of Jaraguá do Sul, Belgian-born Colonel Emilio Carlos Jourdan, through an heraldic lion taken from the arms of Belgium, on a field argent with the figure red. The second part features an heraldic eagle taken from the arms of Prussia, the eagle black on a field or, as a tribute to the European colonists who walked for the first time on this land in the colonization period and to their successors who tilled the soil of Jaraguá do Sul.
The red scroll (a color of devotion and enthusiasm for the home cradle) is inscribed with the name of the municipality and the dates "1876" and "1934" - respectively the dates of foundation of the settlement and of creation of the municipality by Decree No. 565 issued on 26 March 1934, formed by the districts of Hansa (today, Corupá) and Jaraguá, inaugurated on 8 April 1934, separating from Joinville, and renamed to Jaraguá do Sul by State Decree-Law No. 941 promulgated on 31 December 1943.
The basic colors, green and red, are those of the flag of the Santa Catarina state.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021