Last modified: 2020-07-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | encruzilhada do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
The municipality of Encruzilhada do Sul (17,117 inhabitants;
34,385 ha) is located 240 km of Porto Alegre.
Encruzilhada do Sul was established as Santa Barbara de Encruzilhada, elevated to a chapel served by a priest in 1799 and a parish in 1837. The municipality of Encruzilhada was established by Law No. 178 promulgated on 19 July 1849. The town was granted the rank of "cidade" in 1938 and renamed to Encruzilhada do Sul a few years later.
Encruzilhada do Sul is the birth town of João Cândido Felisberto (1880-1969), an Afro-Brazilian sailor known as the Black Admiral. In November 1910, he led the Revolt of the Lash (Revolta da Chibata) against the use of torture in the Brazilian Navy. The 2,000 rebels seized two warships moored in the Gunanabara Bay and threatened to bomb the capital. Six days later, amnesty was granted by Legislative Decree No. 2,280 issued on 25 November 1910; instead, the rebels were arrested, tortured, and six of them were murdered. Full amnesty was eventually granted on 24 July 2008, 39 years after Cândido's death.
Agência Brasil, 24 June 2008
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020
The flag of Encruzilhada do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 772
promulgated on 8 September 1981.
The municipal flag shall be composed of a white rectangle charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms prescribed by Municipal Law No. 294 promulgated on 5 October 1965.
I. The flag's width shall be of 14 units.
II. The flag's length shall be of 20 units.
III. The coat of arms shall be centered, in width 7.5 units, in length 6.5 units.
The coat of arms Encruzilhada do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 294 promulgated on 5 October 1965.
A Portuguese shield composed of three parts:
First part, a blue field with a bell or superimposed with a green palm, recalling the initiation of the settlement around a chapel dedicated to St. Barbara.
Second part, a field argent with a green mountain recalling the location of the municipality in the south-eastern mountains, with a simplified representation of Cerro Partido.
Third part, on a field or a red cross representing the mining resources of the underground; also emphasizing the predominant faith and recalling the junction ["cruzamento"] of roads heading to the border and to the seashore, for which the place was named.
A five-towered mural crown argent indicating a municipal seat.
A blue scroll inscribed with the municipality's name, surrounded by years "1799" and "1849".
Municipal website (archived)
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020