Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | cachoeirinha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The municipality of Cachoeirinha (130,293 inhabitants in 2010; 4,390 ha) is
located 20 km north-east of Porto Alegre.
Cachoeirinha was named for a small water fall ("cachoeira"; diminutive form, "cachoeirinha") located c. 1 km from the bridge over river Gravataí, which prevented navigation, especially in low water periods. The iron bridge, erected in 1925, soon became the town's symbol, and remained so even after the bridge was demolished and scraped. In 1928, the state government ordered to dynamite the rocks that form the waterfall to facilitate navigation between Santo Antônio da Patrulha, Gravataí and Porto Alegre.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 9 January 2012
The flag and arms of Cachoeirinha are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 587
promulgated on 30 June 1980.
The municipal flag of Cachoeirinha, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is described as follows:
Rectangular, blue, with a white equilateral triangle placed along the hoist, charged with the coat of arms described in Article 19.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions adopted for the national flag, that is 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Cachoeirinha, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is described as follows:
Iberian shield. Azure a three-arched and two-towered bridge argent masoned and open sable over a river argent surmounted by a war bonnet of the same a chief checky argent and gules. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent with eight towers ports sable. The shield supported by arrow plants leaved and fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed argent with the toponym "CACHOEIRINHA".
The coat of arms has the following meaning:
a) The Iberian shield was used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil; its adoption evokes the first colonists and builders of the homeland.
b) The bridge is an heraldic symbol of constancy, alliance and firmness. Argent is a symbol of felicity, frankness, truth, integrity and friendship, evoking the attributes of Cachoeirinha's laborious people. The bridge also represents those spanning over river Gravataí, allowing communication with the state capital, and, therefore, the municipality's progress.
c) The river represents river Gravataí, an important means of communication when the settlement was founded.
d) The war bonnet evokes the formation of the settlement; in 1763, upon request of the Governor of the province, Captain Antonio Pinto Carneiro settled the banks of river Gravataí with a troop of thousand Indians, coming from Rio Pardo.
e) The checky chief, by its regular pattern, represents the plots assigned by the municipality to those who contributed, in a region prosperous and rich in opportunities, to the greatness of the municipality and of the state.
f) Gules (red) is a symbol of audacity, valor, gallantry, valiance, nobleness, triumph and honor.
g) The mural crown, a symbol of political emancipation, is represented argent with eight towers, of which only five are visible, standing for a "cidade". The gates open sable (black) proclaim the hospitality of the people of Cachoeirinha.
h) The rice plants emphasize the power of the Gaúcha soil, generous and fertile, as well as one of the municipality's prides, the Rice Experimental Station, the best equipped in the country.
i) On the scroll, "CACHOEIRINHA" identifies the municipality.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020