Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | wenceslau braz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Wenceslau Braz (22,394 inhabitants in 2010; 39,792 ha) is
located 300 km north of Curitiba.
Wenceslau Braz was established in 1915 by coffee planter Joaquim Miranda, from São José da Boa Vista, on the municipal territory of Tomazina. On 11 February 1916, Alfredo and Altinéria Guedes Panteado offered a plot located at Km 70 of the railway connecting Jaguariaíva to Ourinhos, which was in construction on the right bank of river Natureza. Municipal Law No. 108 promulgated on 28 July 1917 established the settlement of Novo Horizonte, whose railway station was inaugurated the next year. State Law No. 1,980 promulgated on 5 April 1920 established the district of Brazópolis, fulfilling the wishes of pioneer Felipe Miguel de Carvalho (1873-1940), who built the first school and the parish church. The district was renamed in 1933 for the 9th President of Brazil, Wenceslau Braz Pereira Gomes (1868-1966; in office, 1914-1918). State Decree No. 704 promulgated on 16 March 1934 transferred Wenceslau Braz to the municipality of São José da Boa Vista.
State Law No. 21 promulgated on 17 October 1935 transferred the seat and name of the municipality of São José da Boa Vista to Wenceslau Braz, which was inaugurated on 26 November 1935.
President Wenceslau Braz ended the Contestado War, which established the definitive border between Santa Catarina and Paraná, promulgated Brazil's first civil code, and declared war to Germany in 1917.
The flag of Wenceslau Braz is green with a white cross skewed to the hoist, superimposed in the center by a yellow lozenge inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
The flag is also used, in a less official context, with a narrower, centered cross and a smaller lozenge.
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2022