Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | santa helena |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A blue flag with a white off-centred cross and a yellow star in the upper hoist.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 24 September 2011
The municipality of Santa Helena (23,425 inhabitants in 2010; 758 sq. km) is located in western Paraná, on the border with Paraguay, here Lake Itaipu, 620 km of Curitiba. The municipality is made of the town of Santa Helena proper and of the districts of São Clemente, São Francisco (secondary seat), São Roque, Moreninha and Vila Celeste. Santa Helena was settled in 1920 by colonists settling the old Port of Santa Helena, located on the banks of river Paraná. The Bortolini, Cattani and Ferri families met there a group of English colonists exploiting timber and yerba maté. The English were expelled in 1924 by the rebels of the Prestes Column. The settlement that developed was named Santa Helena.
In 1959, the Madalosso real estate company, from Erechim (Rio Grande do Sul)
purchased the lands from the Mayer & Annes company and founded a new settlement
also named Santa Helena. The old settlement has been known since then as Santa
Helena Velha (Old). The district of Santa Helena was established, as a part of
the municipality of Medianeira, by State Law No. 26 of 20 June 1962. The
municipality of Santa Helena was established by State Law No. 5,497 of 2
February 1967, from parts of Medianeira and Marechal Cândido Rondo, and
inaugurated on 22 December 1968. The creation of Lake Itaipu caused the flood of
1/3 of the municipal territory but allowed the quick development of tourism on
the bank of the lake, famous for its beaches and fish resources.
The flag of Santa Helena was designed by Arthur Luponi. The colors are given as Royal blue, snow white and golden yellow. The proportions of the flag should be the same as for the national and State flags.
http://184.108.40.206/home/home_cidade_historia.asp. The image of the flag shown nearby does not comply with this prescription. A photo of the town hall shows the flag actually used, with a thicker cross and the same proportions as the national and State flags.
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2012