This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Reserva, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | reserva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Reserva (Paraná), PR (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Reserva (26,715 inhabitants in 2019; 163,552 ha) is located 230 km north-west of Curitiba.

The flag and arms of Reserva are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 402 promulgated on 20 August 1979.

Article 6.
The municipal flag of Reserva, designed by heraldist and vexillologist Arcinôe Antonio Peixoto de Faria, shall be quartered by a cross with green quarters constituted by white stripes of 3 units in width superimposed with red stripes of 2 units, crossed in center and concealed by a white lozenge of 6 units in width on 12 units in length inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
1. In accordance with the the tradition of Portuguese heraldry, from which we inherited canons and rules, municipal flags shall be divided in eight, six, four or three parts, having the same colors as those used in the shield's field and bearing in the center or at hoist a geometric figure where the municipal coat of arms is applied.
2. The municipal flag of Reserva obeys this general rule, being quartered by a cross recalling people's Christian spirit. The coat of arms applied to the flag represents the municipal government while the white lozenge where it is contained represents the town as the seat of the municipality. White is a symbol of peace, work, friendship, prosperity, purity, and religious spirit. The white stripes superimposed with red ones represent the irradiation of the municipal power that expands to all parts of the territory; the red color symbolizes dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage, and valiance. The green quarter represent the rural properties existing in the municipal territory; green is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee and abundance; green is the symbol of hope since greening fields in spring promise profuse harvests.

Article 7.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.

Article 19.
The coat of arms of Reserva, designed by heraldist Arcinás Antônio Peixoto de Faria, is described in proper heraldic terms as follows.
A classic Flemish-Iberian shield surmounted by an seven-towered mural crown argent ports and windows gules. On a field argent a stylized pine tree on a base vert surrounded by two native huts gules the base charged with a cowboy's hunting horn argent. The shield supported dexter by a maize plant proper and sinister by a soybean plant proper crossed in base and superimposed by a scroll gules containing in letters argent the toponym "Reserva" surrounded by years "1906" and "1921".

The coat of arms has the following symbolic interpretation:
a) The classic Flemish-Iberian shield used to represent the arms of Reserva was one of the first styles of shield introduced in Portugal, inherited by Brazilian heraldry as evocative of the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
b) The mural crown that surmounts it is the universal symbol of domains' coats of arms; argent (silver), with eight towers, only four of them visible in perspective view, it classifies a 2nd rank town, that is, the seat of a county. The red openings, due to the meaning of this heraldic color, are consistent with the attributes of pioneers and community leaders.
c) Argent (silver) symbolizes peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious spirit.
d) The stylized pine recalls the municipality's natural resources, at the origin of the first toponym, Pinhalzinho.
e) Vert (green) is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee and abundance; green is the symbol of hope since greening fields in spring promise profuse harvests
f) The native huts gules (red) recall that part of the territory once belonged to an area exclusively reserved to Indians living in the region, therefore the origin of the town's name.
g) Gules (red) is a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
h) The hunting horn argent (silver) in cowboy's style represents livestock, one of the municipality's sources of income.
i) The maize and soybean plants represent the main products from the generous and fertile land, crops of great importance for the municipal income.
k) The scroll gules (red) is inscribed in letters argent with the toponym "RESERVA" surrounded by the dates of creation of the town of Pinhalzinho ("1906") and of its political emancipation ("1921").

http://www.reserva.pr.gov.br/leis/lei%20nr%20402-1979.pdf
Municipal website

Photos
https://www.facebook.com/Prefeitura-Municipal-de-Reserva-493158234144746/photos/574476672679568
https://www.facebook.com/Prefeitura-Municipal-de-Reserva-493158234144746/photos/499095526884350

Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022