Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | rancho alegre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Rancho Alegre (3,955 inhabitants in 2010; 16,765 ha) is
located 450 km north-west of Curitiba.
Rancho Alegre was established in the 1940s by Companhia de Terras Barbosa. The first settlers, Agenor Gomes, Francisco Godoy, Oswaldo Vietze, and Cecília Angela de Oliveira initiated coffee growing in the area.
The district of Rancho Alegre was established on 27 January 1951, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 4,245 promulgated on 25 July 1960 and inaugurated on 29 August 1960.
Rancho Alegre is named for a small ranch erected along the old trail, where the early settlers used to gather to dance and have fun, therefore the epithet "alegre" ("joyous").
The flag of Rancho Alegre is vertically divided green-white-orange with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022