Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | porto amazonas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Porto Amazonas (4,755 inhabitants in 2014; 18,658 ha) is
located 80 km west of Curitiba.
Porto Amazonas was established by Colonel Amazonas de Araújo Marcondes, who was granted by an Imperial Decree promulgated on 19 April 1879 the privilege of navigation on rivers Iguaçu and its tributaries. Steamer "Cruzeiro" made her maiden voyage on 27 December 1882 between Caiacanga and Porto da União. While living in Porto da União, Amazonas pushed the establishment of colonists from Santa Catarina in Porto Amazonas.
The municipality of Porto Amazonas was established by State Law No. 2 promulgated on 10 October 1947, separating from Palmeira, and inaugurated on 9 November 1947. The Town Hall, built from August 1985 to September 1986, is shaped like a steamboat, recalling the origin of the town.
The flag of Porto Amazonas is green with a circular badge featuring on a white background a green sail boat, in the background, left two green Brazilian pines, right a green apple-tree with red fruit.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022