Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | nova fatima |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Nova Fatima (8,356 inhabitants in 2017; 28,342 ha) is
located 325 km north-west of Curitiba.
Nova Fatima was established in the 1940s along the road connecting Cornélio Procópio to Congonhinhas by Pedro Marçal Ribeiro, Sebastião Nicolau Fróes, João Canedo, Martiniano de Campos, Rosa Adriano Consolim, João Batista Fróes and José Fernandes Fróes. The settlement was originally known as Divisora, being located on the borders between three fazendas.
In 1940, Antônio José Fogaça, aka Antônio da Luz, established the first shop in the municipality. He acquired 10 alqueiras of land from Maria da Conceição de Carvalho Macedo and set up plots offered for sale to new colonists; accordingly, the place was subsequently known as Patrimônio da Luz. Coffee, the "green gold" attracted several immigrants in the 1940-1960s, most of them of Japanese origin. They were joined by smaller groups of Italians, Spaniards, Germans and Arabs coming directly from their homeland or from other Brazilian states.
The district of Tulhas was established by Decree-Law No. 92 promulgated on 14 September 1948, to be elevated a municipality renamed to Nova Fatima by State Law No. 790 promulgated on 14 November 1951, separating from Congonhinhas. The new municipality was inaugurated on 14 December 1952.
The name of Nova Fatima was coined by Geraldo de Proença Sigaud, bishop of Jacarezinho, who pointed out topographic similarity between the place and the Portuguese town of Fatima. This name was not welcomed by the pioneers, who venerated Our Lady of the Light, but the power of the Roman Catholic Church was stronger.
The flag of Nova Fatima is blue, quartered by a red cross outlined in white, charged in the center with a yellow lozenge inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2022