Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | leópolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Leópolis (4,145 inhabitants in 2010; 34,492 ha) is
located on the border with the state of São Paulo, 450 km north-west of
Leópolis was settled in 1926. In 1940, Companhia Agrícola Barboza established a settlement in the municipality of Cornélio Procópio. The place was subsequently named Leópolis, as a tribute to Leovegildo Barboza Ferraz, aka Léo Barboza, President of the company.
The district of Leópolis was established in 2947, to be elevated a municipality in 1951, which was inaugurated on 14 December 1952.
The flag of Leópolis is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 380 promulgated on 15 October 1986.
The flag of the municipality of Leópolis, created through a public contest in compliance with heraldic principles, has the following description and symbolism.
a) Description: Divided into three vertical rectangular stripes, the lateral ones green and the central one white, charged with the municipality's coat of arms, the stripes separated by black lines. The dimensions of the municipal flag follow the official standards of the national flag.
b) Symbolism: The coat of arms in the center represents the spread of power to all parts of the municipal territory.
Green symbolizes the fertility of Leópolis' fields, which are always multiplying what is sown in them; white symbolizes peace, loyalty, solidarity, work and prosperity; yellow symbolizes wealth, splendor and vigor; black symbolizes austerity, thoughtfulness and precaution; blue, symbolizes nobleness, constancy, perseverance, zeal and loyalty.
Municipal Law No. 421 promulgated on 30 June 1988 prescribes the 20th of August as Leópolis' flag day and credits the authorship of the flag to Vanda Anastácio da Silva Bernardo and Cláudia Mara Anastácio da Silva.
The coat of arms of Leópolis is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 388 promulgated on 26 November 1986.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Leópolis is described as follows.
A Portuguese shield, vert a bull's head cantonned in chief by two fleurs-de-lis all argent. The shield is surmounted by a mural crown argent with eight towers and open gates sable and is supported dexter by a branch of coffee tree and sinister by a branch of cotton in base bundles of wheat all proper. A scroll argent inscribed with the toponym “LEÓPOLIS” in green (vert) letters.
The coat of arms shall have the following interpretation.
a) The Portuguese shield recalls the primitive colonizers, as it was used in Portugal at the time of the discovery of Brazil.
b) Vert (green) represents hope, courtesy, freedom, friendship and abundance, and by extension, the forests and crops of the municipality.
c) Argent indicates happiness, purity, temperance and beauty, truth, openness and integrity, attributes of the residents and remembrance of the climate of understanding they enjoy.
d) The bull's head represents livestock, which is well developed in the region.
e) The fleurs-de-lis allude to the town's patron saint, Our Lady of the Apparition.
f) The mural crown is the symbol of political emancipation; argent with eight towers, only five of them visible, it classifies a town. The open doors sable (black) indicate the hospitality of the people of Leópolis.
g) The coffee and cotton branches and the bundles of wheat highlight the fertility of Leópolis' soil, of which they are important products.
h) On the scroll, toponym “LEÓPOLIS” identifies the Municipality.
This Law abrogated Municipal Law No. 42 promulgated on 15 April 1971, which prescribed the first municipal coat of arms as follows.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Leópolis has the following attributes.
I – An allegorical arch in the form of a baton argent, which represents the security of the other elements that are bundled together by it. It is a bulwark defending the other symbols that compose it.
II – A figure without a defined geometric shape, in blue color, representing the Virgin's cloak protecting resources, production, future and religious aspirations. It is the presence of Christianity in the municipality.
III – A bull's head represents the growing livestock, one of the region's strongholds.
IV – To the right in black stripes, bounded by a green surface, which represents the forest that gave rise to the municipality. From its green reserves and foundation of the town.
V – Within the space separating the bull's head from the green stripe, a wheat plant representing wheat cultivation in the municipality.
VI – The shield supported by flowering and fructed branches of cotton and coffee, which make up the biggest part of agricultural production in the region.
VII – Beneath the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the name of the municipality of Leópolis.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2022