Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | itaperuçu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Itaperuçu (26,755 inhabitants in 2015; 32,057 ha) is
located 30 km north of Curitiba.
The flag and arms of Itaperuçu are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 28 promulgated on 17 December 1993.
The flag of the municipality of Itaperuçu shall be rectangular, with proportions 14 units in width by 20 units in length, pursuant to Article 5 of Federal Law No. 5,700 promulgated in 1971, with the following features.
a) Quartered by two white stripes of 2 units in width, which intersect in the 6th unit from the hoist and the 4th unit from the top to the bottom, forming unequal fields, the upper ones blue, which symbolize the firmament, and the lower ones green, which represent the municipality's vegetation and agriculture.
b) The geometric figure at the intersection of the two white stripes is a white circle, of 7 units in diameter, inscribing the coat of arms of the municipality. The circle symbolizes eternity, as it has no beginning or end. The coat of arms applied in the circle represents the municipal government spreading to all parts.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Itaperuçu, designed under the coordination of Enciclopédia Simbológica Municipalista Paranaense - ESIMPAR -, is composed of a Samnite shield, of 8 modules in width on 7 units in length, divided in three parts, with the following characteristics.
a) Upper part.
The shield's upper field is horizontally divided by a black outline in the third unit, forming a rectangle. This field features three elevations, in green, representing Itaperuçu's green hills; between the first and second elevations a rising sun proper with the blue sky in the background.
b) Lower part.
The field's lower field is vertically divided into two unequal parts by a black outline forming two equal parts.
The lower right side is horizontally divided into two unequal parts by a black outline in the fifth module. The upper part of the right side, yellow, which symbolizes wealth, features a factory argent (white) with smoking chimneys, which represent the Itaperuçu's great cement industry. The right side, brown, which symbolizes the fertile land, features a tractor argent (white), driven by a technician, representing mechanized agriculture in the municipality.
The lower left side features the entrance of a cave argent (white), which represents Itaperuçu cave; the green part of the entrance of the cave in the form of an elevation indicates the region's exuberant vegetation. The cave is filled with brown stones, which represent ore extraction, the municipality's main source of income. Outlining the stones and the elevation, the horizon is shown in blue.
The shield is surmounted by a mural crown with three visible towers argent (white), with black gates. The mural crown represents the constituted powers of the municipality.
On the right side of the shield is a maize plant fructed proper, on the left side of the shield, there is a bean plant fructed proper. Both represent the main agricultural resources of the municipality.
At the lower end of the shield, the red scroll contains the following inscriptions, in black: "12/10/1990 Itaperuçu - 01/01/1993", which correspond, respectively, to the date of creation of the municipality, its toponym, and its date of inauguration.
Blue, the color of the firmament, symbolizes justice, truth, loyalty, and beauty.
Green denotes faith and symbolizes hope, freedom, and strength of nature.
Yellow is the image of maturity of judgment, symbolizing nobleness, magnitude, and wealth.
White, the color of pure light, symbolizes integrity, obedience, vigilance, peace, and order.
Black belongs to the domain of intelligence, symbolizing prudence, vigor, and honesty.
Brown represents the earth, being symbolically identified with the virtues and qualities described for black.
Leis Municipais database
Itaperuçu (then called Tapirussú) cave was visited in 1875 by Engineer Luis Parigot, who guided Adolpho Lamenha Lins (1845-1881), President (~ Governor) of the province (1875-1877). The "less known and incompletely explored" cave was visited again on 10 December 1885 by a group of 30 people led by President Alfredo D'Escragnolle Taunay (1843-1899; in office, 1885-1886). In 1908 (Revista do Instituto Histórico e Geográfico de São Paulo, volume 11), Joaquim José Carvalho claimed that caves of Antiparos (Greece), Han-sur-Lesse (Belgium), the Maidens' Cave (France), and Mammoth Cave (Kentucky) "did not exceed in splendor" Taperussú cave, Hell's cave (Mato Grosso) and Isabel cave (Northern São Paulo)".
Histórias do Vale do Ribeira Paranaense
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022