Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | iporã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022
The municipality of Iporã (13,926 inhabitants in 2019; 64,789 ha) is located
600 km west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of the districts of Iporã
(seat), Cafezal (established by Municipal Law No. 32 promulgated on 28 September
1967), Guaiporã (est. by State Law No. 7,622 promulgated on 15 June 1982),
Jangada (est. by State Law No. 7,622 promulgated on 15 June 1982), Nilza (est.
by State Law No. 7,622 promulgated on 15 June 1982), and Oroite (est. by State
Law No. 5,777 promulgated on 24 May 1968, formerly known as Santa Helena).
Iporã was developed by Sociedade imobiliária Noroeste do Paraná Limitada (Sinopterras Ltda), a colonizing company established by Enio Pipino and João Pedro Moreira de Carvalho. Originally known as Atlāntida, the place was renamed to Iporã, a Tupi-Guarani name meaning "Good Water", referring to the abundance in freshwater.
The district of Iporã was established as part of the municipality of Cruzeiro do Oeste by Municipal Law No. 12 promulgated on 24 April 1955, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 4,245 promulgated on 25 July 1960.
The flag of Iporã is yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022