This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Imbituva, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | imbituva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Imbituva, PR(Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Imbituva (28,759 inhabitants in 2010; 75,653 ha) is located 175 km west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of the districts of Imbituva (seat) and Apiaba (originally established as São Miguel do Pinho by State Law No. 2,757 promulgated on 31 March 1930, renamed to São Miguel by State Law No. 6,667 promulgated on 31 March 1938, and eventually to Apiaba by State Decree-Law No. 199 promulgated on 30 December 1943.

Imbituva was established in 1871 by pioneer and tropeiro Antonio Lourenço, from Faxina, in the area then known as Cupim. The parish of Santo Antônio de Imbituva was erected by Provincial Law No. 441 promulgated on 21 February 1876, to be elevated a town (municipality) by Provincial Law No. 651 promulgated on 26 March 1881, separating from Ponta Grossa. The new municipality, seated in Campo de Cupim, was inaugurated on 14 June 1882.
The name of the municipality was shortened to Imbituva by State Law No. 2,645 promulgated on 10 April 1929.
Imbituva is named for the local river, from a Tupi-Guarani word meaning "a place planted with several imbé [Philodendron imbe (Schott ex Kunth)]".
Municipal website

The flag of Imbituva is green, quartered by a yellow-red-yellow cross superimposed with a yellow lozenge inscribing the municipal coat of arms.


Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022