Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | iguaraçu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Iguaraçu (4,440 inhabitants in 2020; 16,498 ha) is
located 450 km north-west of Curitiba.
Iguaraçu was settled in 1942 by Joaquim Ferreira Leite, Paulo Naga and João Fernandes, who came from Paraná, São Paulo and Minas Gerais. In 1946, João Batista and Antonio Escravinato acquired more plots and built the first dwellings of the town.
The district of Iguaraçu was established by State Law No. 1,542 promulgated on 14 December 1953, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 2,505 promulgated on 22 November 1955, separating from Astorga. The municipality was inaugurated on 16 December 1956.
There is no consensus on the meaning of Iguaraçu in Tupi-Guarani, either "a good place" or "profuse water".
The flag of Iguaraçu is horizontally divided blue-white-red with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022