Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | congonhinhas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Congonhinhas (8,857 inhabitants in 2020; 53,696 ha) is
located 400 km north-west of Curitiba.
Congonhinhas was established in 1926 by José Domingues da Costa, José Carlos de Oliveira, Joaquim Luiz de Oliveira, João Canedo da Silva and Eugenia Domingues da Costa, who erected a wooden chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Apparition. The town's name is the diminutive form of "congonha", a plant locally used as a substitute to yerba mate.
The flag of Congonhinhas is blue with a yellow-red-yellow horizontal stripe cantonned by two white fleurs-de-lis and a white triangle placed along the hoist, charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022