Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | campo largo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Campo Largo (132,002 inhabitants in 2019; 124,942 ha) is
located 30 km west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of the districts of
Campo Largo (seat), Bateias, Tręs Córregos, São Silvestre and Ferraria.
The flag and arms of Campo Largo are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 167 promulgated on 24 December 1969.
The municipal flag of Campo Largo, designed by Arcinoe Antonio Peixoto de Faria, shall be quartered per saltire, the blue quarters being formed by four white stripes superimposed with red stripes, placed two by two in bend and bend sinister, starting from the angles of a central white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
§1. The style of the flag obeys the tradition of Portuguese heraldry, of which Brazil inherited its canons and rules, the flags being divided into eight, six, four or three parts. Here the quartered per saltire style, featuring stripes connecting the flag's cantons and crossing each other in the center, a rectangle charged with the coat of arms being placed on their intersection.
§2. The coat of arms in the center of the flag symbolizes the municipal government while the rectangle on which it is applied represents the town proper as the seat of the municipality. The stripes symbolize the municipal power spreading to all the parts of the territory, while the quarters represent the rural estates existing on the municipal territory.
§3. The colors adopted for the flag are those of the field of the coat of arms, in compliance with heraldic rules; their heraldic meaning and description are given in §1 of Article 19 section IV of this Law.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Campo Largo, designed in compliance with the canons and rules of heraldry under the responsibility of Arcinoe Antonio Peixoto de Faria, is described in proper words as follows:
A Samnite shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. On a large field ["campo largo"] argent checky ombre in chief a fleur-de-lis azure in base dexter a stylized bunch of five rice plants vert with panicles or outlined sable superimposed with a stylized horn gules sinister a stylized donkey vert equipped gules. A bordure azure charged with variegated pieces of crockery, in chief dexter and sinister pieces of porcelain insulating material argent shadowed sable in chief center and dexter and sinister flanks plates argent decorated gules or and sable, in base dexter and sinister cups argent decorated gules or and sable, in central base a Brazilian pine or, all stylized. The shield supported dexter and sinister by maize plants proper crossed in base superimposed with a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "CAMPO LARGO" surrounded by dates "2 DE ABRIL DE 1870" and "23 DE FEVREIRO DE 1871".
§1. The coat of arms shall have the following symbolic interpretation.
a) The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Campo Largo was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal by French influence; inherited by Brazilian heraldry, it evokes the colonizing race, main builder of the Brazilian nation.
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domains' coats of arms; argent (silver), with eight towers, only five of them visible in perspective view, it indicates a 2nd rank town, seat of a county.
c) Argent (silver) is the heraldic symbol of peace, work, friendship, prosperity and purity.
d) The checky motif represents an artistic azulejo, composed of 35 pieces, highlighting artistic ceramic as one of the municipality's industries.
e) Ombre (gray), of extremely uncommon use in heraldry, has the same meaning as sable (black), which is widely used in German heraldry: prudence, knowledge, moderation, science, art and austerity.
f) The fleur-de-lis azure (blue) symbolizes protection offered by Our Lady in Piety, the municipality's patron saint.
g) Azure (blue) is the heraldic symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty.
h) The stylized bunches of cereal plants symbolize agriculture.
i) The cone-shaped stylized motif is an historical evocation of the town's foundation, recalling that Campo Largo emerged as a camp established by tropeiros heading from Rio Grande do Sul to the Sorocaba fair.
j) The stylized yerba mate cargoes also represent the town's historical heritage, recalling that those heading from the hinterland to the shore used Campo Largo as a mandatory place to store and swap goods.
l) Vert is a symbol of honor, courtesy, civility, abundance and glee. It is also the symbol of hope since greening fields in spring promise profuse harvests.
m) Gules is the heraldic hieroglyph of dedication, patriotic love, fertility, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
n) Or is a symbol of glory, splendor, wealth, greatness and command.
o) Sable has the same meaning as ombre, described in e).
p) The bordure is a symbol of favor and protection; the stylized pieces of crockery identify the developing business park of the municipality, nicknamed "Capital of Crockery"; the Brazilian pine recalls that Campo Grande is located in the so-called Land of Brazilian Pines.
q) The outer ornaments, maize plants proper, represent one of the main crops offered by the fertile and generous land.
r) The scroll is inscribed with the toponym surrounded by dates of political emancipation ("2 April 1870") and inauguration (23 February 1871).
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022
image by Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022
The flag of Internacional E.C., an amateur club founded in 1945 in Campo
Grande, is vertically divided black-white-black, charged in the center with the
club's emblem, surmounted by six golden yellow stars, arranged in an horizontal
row of five surmounted by one bigger star.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022