Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | califórnia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Califórnia (8,533 inhabitants in 2018; 14,182 ha) is
located 350 km north-west of Curitiba.
Califórnia was established in 1942 by French civil engineer Alberto L.V. Duplessis, helped by land surveyor Minoti Bolinellli. Duplessis coined the name Califórnia, claiming that the area resembles California.
The municipality of Califórnia was established by State Law No. 253 promulgated on 26 November 1954 and inaugurated on 17 December 1955.
The flag of Califórnia is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 342 promulgated on 22 October 1980. The French flag is a tribute to founder Alberto L.V. Duplessis. The coat of arms applied on the flag represents the municipal government, while the central white stripe represents the town proper. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, purity and religious spirit. The outer, blue and red stripes represent the rural properties scattered over the municipal territory. Blue is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty. Red is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022