Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | bandeirantes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Bandeirantes (31,526 inhabitants in 2018; 44,762 ha) is
located 430 km north-west of Curitiba.
Bandeirantes was surveyed in 1920 by engineer Carlos Burrumei. On 24 December 1926, João Manuel dos Santos acquired plots from Josefina Alves de Lima, owner of Fazenda Laranjinha, to establish a settlement called Invernada (Wintering). João Cravo, Josefina's associate, was also granted a plot. During the building of the Sa§ Paulo-Paraná railway, Azaria Vieira de Rezende established another settlement, Vila Rezende.
The district of Invernada was established, as part of the municipality of Jacarezinho, on 12 April 1929 and inaugurated on 8 December 1929. In July 1930, the Bandeirantes railway station was inaugurated 3 km away from Invernada. A settlement emerged near the station, on a plot owned by Juvenal Mesquita. In 1932, officials commissioned by the Paraná government to visit the place stated that Bandeirantes and Invernada were worth being united to form a new municipality.
The municipality of Bandeirantes was established by State Law No. 2,396 promulgated on 14 November 1934 and inaugurated on 5 January 1935. Suppressed in 1938, the municipality was re-established two days later by State Decree-Law No. 6,282 promulgated on 24 January 1938.
The flag of Bandeirantes is divided in eight trapezoidal sectors formed by eight white stripes superimposed by red stripes and a central black line, placed two by two in the horizontal and vertical dimensions, per bend and per bend sinister, starting from a white rectangle inscribing the coat of arms.
In compliance with the tradition of Portuguese heraldry whose canons and rules were inherited by Brazilian heraldry, municipal flags shall be divided in eight parts, featuring in the center the town's coat of arms in full colors, and shall use the same colors as for the shield's field. The coat of arms in the flag's center symbolizes the municipal government while the rectangle on which it is applied represents the town proper. The stripes symbolize the municipal power spreading all over the municipal territory while the eight trapezoidal sectors they define represent the rural estates scattered on the territory.
The coat of arms of Bandeirantes has for heraldic description: Classic Flemish-Iberian shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. Vert divided in base by two fesses wavy argent the effigy of a pioneer proper holding an harquebush. A chief gules a hoe and an axe argent crossed in saltire. The shield supported dexter by a coffee branch fructed proper and sinister by a sugarcane proper crossed in base supporting a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the motto "AUD└CIA E TRABALHO" surrounded by years "1926 - 1934".
The classic Flemish-Iberian shield called "Portuguese shield" was selected to represent the arms of Bandeirantes as evoking the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
The mural crown that surmounts it is the symbol proper to domains' arms; with eight towers argent, only five of them visible, it classifies a 2nd rank, that is a county seat.
Vert (green) recalls soil's exuberance, the municipality's main source of income. The fesses wavy represent rivers Cinza and Laranjinha watering the municipal territory. The effigy of the pioneer ["bandeirante"] makes the arms canting, evoking the name given to the town as a tribute to the intrepid colonists, pioneers of the 20th century, who funded the settlement subsequently converted into a town.
The chief gules, a color symbolizing intrepidity, courage and valiance, features iconographical representations of the arms used by the pioneers. The supporters symbolize the main crops offered by the generous and fertile soil. The motto includes the words "Audacity", proper to the pioneers, and "Labor", proper to people building the greatness of their town.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022