Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | atalaia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Astorga (24,704 inhabitants in 2010; 435 sq. km) is located in north central Paraná, 420 km from Curitiba. The municipality is made of the town of Astorga proper (18,056 inh.) and of the districts of Santa Zélia (3,402 inh.), Içara (1,051 inh.) and Tupinambá (1,746 inh.).
The municipality of Atalaia (38892 inhabitants in 2019; 13,766 ha) is located
470 km north-west of Curitiba.
Atalaia was established in the 1940s by land surveyor Geraldo Brook, from the Companhia Melhoramentos Norte do Paraná. The first settlers arrived in January 1950.
The district of Atalaia was established, as part of the municipality of Nova Esperança, by State Law No. 1,524 promulgated on 14 December 1953, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 4,245 promulgated on 25 July 1960. The municipality was inaugurated on 15 November 1961.
The flag of Atalaia is vertically divided green-yellow-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Green represents forests; yellow represents gold and resources; blue represents the sky.
The coat of arms of Atalaia is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 3 promulgated in 1963.
A Portuguese shield divided by three fesses wavy argent, surmounted by the mural crown proper to municipalities. Charges harmoniously arranged in compliance with the municipality's history and characteristics. The shield supported by branches of coffee, representing agriculture during the coffee's heyday. On a scroll argent the motto "LIBERATIS EXCUBITOR" (Sentinel of Liberty) in letters azure.
The crown represents the town's patron saint, Our Queen Lady. The three fesses wavy represent rivers Pirapó, Jacupinga and Caxangá. The torch represents liberty.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022