Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | apucarana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Apūcarana (136,234 inhabitants in 2019; 55,839 ha) is
located 375 km north-west of Curitiba.
The flag and arms of Apucarana are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 28 promulgated on 3 July 1968.
The flag of Apucarana is quartered, the white quarters being formed by stripes that cross each other horizontally and vertically, in turn blue and green, on which is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Rationale and symbols.
According to the Portuguese heraldic tradition whose canons and rules were inherited by Brazil, municipal flags can be divided in eight, six, four or three parts, charged in the center with a geometric figure inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
The flag of Apucarana obeys the general rule, being quartered by a cross that evokes the inhabitants' Christian spirit.
The coat of arms inscribed in the central yellow rectangle represents the municipal government while the rectangle symbolizes the town proper, seat of the municipality. Yellow is a symbol of wealth, glory, splendor, highness and command. The stripes starting from this geometric figure divide the flag in quarters, with alternate blue and red colors, symbolizing the spread of the municipal powers all over the municipal territory.
Blue is a symbol of justice, perseverance, zeal and loyalty, representing the manner the municipal powers are exerted. Red is a symbol of intrepidity, courage, audacity and valiance, which are qualities inherited from the pioneers and applied today for the defense of democratic institutions.
The white quarters represent the rural estates scattered on the municipal territory. White is a symbol of progress, work, peace, friendship and purity.
Coat of arms.
The coat of arms is composed of a classic Flemish-Iberian shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. In base wavy vert a five-pointed star gules. A chief azure a religious temple argent. The shield supported dexter and sinister by coffee branches fructed proper interlaced by a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "Apucarana" surrounded by years "1943" and "1944".
The classic Flemish-Iberian shield, also improperly known as Portuguese, eveokes the colonizing race and main builder of the Brazilian nation.
The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domains' coats of arms; argent (silver), with eight towers, only five of them visible in perspective view, it indicates a 2nd rank town, seat of a county.
Or (gold) is a symbol of wealth, nobleness, splendor, highness and command.
The base wavy vert (green) represents the Serra de Apucarana, for which the town is named. Vert is the heraldic hieroglyph of civility, glee and plenty. It is also the color of hope, alluding to greening fields in spring announcing profuse harvests.
The five-pointed star gules (red) represents the Cia Melhoramentos Norte do Paraná, which laid the foundations of the town. Gules (red) is the heraldic symbol of audacity, intrepidity, courage, and valiance, which were the characteristics of the intrepid colonizers of the North Paraná hinterland.
The religious temple argent (silver) evokes the people's Christian faith.
The outer ornaments, two branches of coffee fructed proper, evoke the main crop offered by the fertile and generous land, being the municipality's main source of income.
The scroll gules (red) is inscribed with the years of foundation ("1944") and municipal emancipation ("1943") of Apucarana.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022