Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | alvorada do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Alvorada do Sul (11,503 inhabitants in 2020; 42,435 ha)
is located on the border with São Paulo state, 500 km north-west of Curitiba.
The flag and arms of Alvorada do Sul are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,040 promulgated on 16 September 1998.
The flag of the municipality of Alvorada do Sul shall be rectangular, in proportions 14 units in length on 20 units in width, in compliance with Article 5 of Federal Law No. 8,700 promulgated on 1 September 1971, with the following characteristics.
a) The flag shall be divided into two parts, the upper, blue, 10 units in width and the lower, red, 4 units in width.
b) In the center of the upper part, a white circle of 6 units in diameter, inscribing the coat of arms of the municipality, which represents the municipal government.
c) The white circle represents the town proper, seat of the municipality.
d) White is a symbol of peace. Blue represents the indigo sky. Red represents manpower that impulses development.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Alvorada do Sul is composed of a Portuguese shield, rectangular in the upper three parts and rounded-off in the lower part, in proportions 7 units in length on 8 units in width, surmounted by a four-towered mural crown, only two of them visible in perspective view, argent. A black horizontal outline divides the shield into two unequal parts:
a) The upper part, or chief, of 3 units in width.
b) The lower part, of 6 units in width.
In the upper part, on a blue background representing the firmament, a personified rising sun proper with eight rays, representing the power of Alvorada do Sul, rejuvenated every morning, which contributes to the progress of the municipality.
In the lower part, on a white background representing peace and order, a singing rooster, looking at the shield's right, yellow with yellow, red and white feathers. It represents the toponym "Alvorado do Sul" [South Dawn].
The black outline that separates the upper and lower fields represents the separation of Alvorado do Sul from the municipality of Porecatu and its elevation to a municipality on 14 December 1952.
The supporters, a branch of ramie (a textile nettle) on each side of the shield, represent paper and cloth production.
Beneath the shield, right, a flowered cotton plant, left a fructed coffee branch, the two proper, representing the municipality's main sources of income. Coffee (first crop) experienced its heyday between 1920 and 1940, boosting the development of the municipality. Cotton, present-day's crop, provides a lot of income to the municipality.
Superimposed to the plants interlaced in base, a white scroll inscribed with the toponym "ALVORADA DO SUL", in letters outlined in black.
White is pure light, symbolizing integrity, obedience, vigilance, peace and order.
Blue is the color of the firmament, symbolizing justice, truth, loyalty and beauty.
Yellow is the image of wisdom in judgment, symbolizing nobleness, magnitude and wealth.
Red is energy, symbolizing force, courage and triumph.
Green represents faith, symbolizing hope, liberty and the power of nature.
Black belongs to intelligence, symbolizing prudence, vigor and honesty.
Argent is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022