Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | guanhães |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dirk Schönberger, 5 July 2010
A green flag with a rising blue diagonal bar from lower hoist to upper fly; a yellow triangle in the upper hoist and three white arrows in the lower fly.
Official website at
http://www.guanhaes.mg.gov.br. The flag is shown on the official site at
Dirk Schönberger, 5 July 2010
The municipality of Guanhães (31,266 inhabitants in 2010; 1,076 sq. km) is
located in eastern Minas Gerais, 240 km of Belo Horizonte. The municipality
is made of the town of Guanhães proper and of the districts of Correntinho,
Farias, Sapucaia de Guanhães and Taquaral de Guanhães.
Guanhães was founded in the early 19th century by Manoel de Oliveira Rosa, Joaquim de Oliveira Rosa and Faustino Xavier Caldeira. Originally named São Miguel e Almas and made a municipality independent of Conceição do Serro on 25 October 1875, the place was renamed Guanhães when made a "cidade" by Provincial Law No. 2,766 on 13 September 1881. The name of Guanhães, shared with the river that waters the municipality, recalls the Guanaãs Indians, from the Caingangue group, who lived there.
The flag of Guanhães, designed by Laet Berto, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,210 of 23 October 1975. The flag has the same proportions and colors as the national flag, which emphasizes the commitment of the municipality to support the patriotic ideal. The triangle is the symbols of Minas Gerais, assisted by the Divine Providence. It also forms a heap of gold, with the pointing upwards in the direction of progress. The blue diagonal represents river Guanhães crossing the green forests of the valley of river Doce. The arrows recall the Indian origin of the name of the municipality and the contribution of the Indians to its history.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2012