Last modified: 2016-11-30 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | cruzília |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dirk Schönberger, 22 June 2010
An upright yellow cross on a green field.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 22 June 2010
The municipality of Cruzília (14,596 inhabitants in 2010; 524 sq. km) is
located in south-southwestern Minas Gerais, 380 km of Belo Horizonte.
Cruzília is the cradle of the Mangalarga Marchador horse breed, often
considered as the Brazilian national horse.
Cruzília was once known as Encruzilhada ("Crossroad"), Cruz da Estrada ("Road Cross") and Cruziléia. When the names of the Brazilian municipalities were revised, it was found that Encruzilhada do Sul (Rio Grande do Sul) was older than Encruzilhada, which was renamed Cruz de Estrada. The locals disagreed, claiming that "their" Encruzilhada was already known in the 18th century. The name of the place alludes to the crossing of two roads, linking Aiuruoca and Alagoa, and Carrancas and the inner Minas Gerais, respectively. The oldest written mention of Encruzilhada dates back to 1718-1720, when Francisco Martins, Diogo Pires, Tomé de Souza e Silva, Pedro da Silva Góis and Diogo Moreira paid Royal tax to the district of Baependi. Manoel de Sá, granted on 20 December 1726 a piece of land "in the area between Encruzilhada and Jeruoca", is considered as the founder of Encruzilhada. The place appears, more or less clearly located, on several subsequent parish registers; the Encruzilhada Borough is listed on a register of Baependi dated 1800. The cemetery of Encruzilhada, established in 1758, was abandoned for a while, which demonstrates the decline of the place, and reestablished in 1822. The emergence of the settlement started in 1838 while the district of São Sebastião da Encruzilhada was created by State Law No. 1995 of 14 November 1873. Made a "vila" in 1837, the settlement was renamed Cruzília in 1944, a name often, wrongly, interpreted as "The Way of the Cross". The municipality of Cruzília was eventually established by State Law No. 336 of 27 December 1948 and inaugurated on 1 January 1949.
The flag of Cruzília is a banner of the field of the municipal arms. The cross recalls the origin of the place and of its name, a crossroad. Green represents abundance while yellow represents strength. Green and yellow are the municipal colors.
http://www.cruzilia.mg.gov.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=41 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2012