Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: san lorenzo department | santa fé province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The San Lorenzo Department (157,255 inhabitants in 2010; 186,700 ha) is
located in the south-east of the Santa Fé Province, on the right bank of river
Paraná. It is composed of six 2nd-category municipalities (Capitán Bermúdez,
Carcarañá, Fray Luis Beltrán, Puerto General San Martín, Roldán, San Lorenzo -
each of them counting more than 10,000 inhabitants) and another nine communes (Aldao,
Coronel Arnold, Fuentes, Pujato, Ricardone, San Jerónimo Sud, Timbúes, Villa
Mugueta, Luis Palacios - each of them counting less than 5,000 inhabitants). Its
capital and main town is San Lorenzo (45,958 inh.).
The flag of the San Lorenzo Department was unveiled on 10 December 2018 in a ceremony presided by Provincial Senator Armando Traferri. The design was selected among 84 proposals submitted by 40 educational institutes. The winners were Escuela Remedios de Escalada and Colegio Redentor, both located in the town of San Lorenzo; they were asked to merge their respective proposals in a single design, which was
eventually adopted as the department's flag. Traferri announced that the prize awarded to the winner, 2 million pesos, shall indeed be shared among all the participating schools and used to buy digital equipment.
The flag is diagonally divided, per bend sinister, celestial blue-white-green. In the center is placed a composite emblem. Celestial blue represents loyalty and justice [and, most probably, together with white, the national flag] while green is the color of abundance.
The circular emblem features in its upper half a black half cog-wheel, representing industry, placed on a celestial blue background, and in its lower half a generic representation of the fields and river Paraná. The emblem is bordered in its upper half by a ring of 15 yellow stars, which stand for the towns forming the department; in its lower left part by yellow wheat spike, which symbolizes agriculture as the main source of income for a great part of the province and of the department; and in its lower right part by a branch of laurel, as a tribute to the soldiers fallen in the battles of San Lorenzo and Punta Quebracho.
Diario Sintesis, 10 December 2018
In the flag eventually manufactured and offered to the department's brschools, the name of he department is added between the cogwheel and the
On 3 February 1813, Colonel José de San Martin (1778-18590) reported the battle of San Lorenzo to the Supreme Government of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata as follows:
"It is my honor to announce to Your Excellency that on 3 February the grenadiers under my command secured another triumph for the patriotic army. The enemies, counting 250 men, disembarked at 5:30 in the morning in the port of San Lorenzo and headed without opposition to the San Carlos college, according to their plan, in two division of 60 men each. Attacked from the right and the left, they, however, opposed a strong resistance supported by the cannons of the vessels, but they could not contain the intrepid assault of the grenadiers, who charged saber in hand. They eventually withdrew, leaving on the battlefield 40 dead men, 14 prisoners and 12 injured men, not including those who escaped, and, according to the blood seen in the brooks, were numerous. Two cannons, 40 rifles, four bayonets and a color transferred to Your Excellence, which was captured from his standard-bearer by the valiant officer Hipolyto Bouchard. On our side, we lost 26 me, six dead and the other injured [...]"
The battle, which lasted only three minutes, was the first success of San Martin. After his horse as stumbled across a stone, the colonel was saved by Sergent Juan Bautista Cabral, who offered his life to protect him from a Spanish bayonet.
Aurora de Chile, 11 March 1813
The battle of Punta Quebracho was fought on 4 June 1846 near Puerto General San Martín. The troops of the Argentine Confederation, commanded by General Lucio Norberto Mansilla (1792-1861) repelled the Anglo-French naval forces, which eventually withdrew from Argentine on 13 July 1846.
Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019
TThe municipality of Carcarañá (16,432
inhabitants in 2010; 11,332 ha) is located 50 km west of Rosario, in the San
Carcarañá is named for the Guarani word "cara-cara-añá", meaning "a devil owl", the nickname of the Querandí native people, famous for their bravery. The area was settled in the 17th century by the Society of Jesus, as the San Miguel del Carcarañá estate.
In the 19th century, the Compañía de Tierras del Central Argentino organized the colonization of the area by establishing rural colonies near the railway station of the Ferrocarril Central Argentino, on plots offered by the government. Guillermo Wilkens went to Bern (Switzerland) to hire colonists. A first group of settlers, mostly Swiss, arrived on 1 March 1870 in Bernstadt (today, Roldán), the first colony established in Central Argentina.
The next year, 15 households established a second colony in Carcarañá. In 1872, the new settlement counted three shops, hotels, pubs, a butcher, a blacksmith, a carpenter, a potter, a pharmacist and two masons. The colony administrator served as a medical doctor. The relations with the natives were not easy since the plots "offered" by the government had had their previous owners expropriated. A commission was established on 9 January 1894 to settle the disputes and reconcile the two components of the population. The plan of the new town was drawn in 1902 by English engineers. The inauguration of the railway allowed several families from Rosario, attracted by the healing properties of river Carcarañá, to build vacation houses in Carcarañá.
http://carcarania.gov.ar - Municipal website
The flag of Carcarañá, inaugurated on 21 June 2016, was designed by Genaro Bonet (71 years old), winner of a public contest organized by the municipality. The results of the contest, which yielded 40 submissions, were proclaimed on 13 December 2015
The flag is divided in concentric sectors, from the upper right to the lower left corner, blue, light brown, dark green, and yellow. The yellow sector forms a sun with tree ray crossing the flag.
Blue is a symbol of the river watering the town.
The brown sector represents urban areas, while the green sector represents suburban areas; the colours also represent the soil, fields and green areas, respectively.
The sun is a symbol of life, light, hope, and of the union of a community projected towards the future.
http://www.casildaplus.com/ennoticias/Carcarana-izo-por-primera-vez-su-bandera--20160621-0005.html - Casilda Plus, 21 June 2016
http://carcarania.gov.ar/carcarana-y-su-bandera - Municipal website, 14 December 2015
http://carcaweb.com.ar/index.php/sociales2/item/1645-carcawebcarcarapresentobanderacarcaraschuagersoquesbaccala - CarcaWeb, 13 December 2015
Ivan Sache/i, 15 May 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019
The municipality of San Lorenzo (46,239 inhabitants in 2010) emerged,
without specific organization or planning, around the Franciscan convent
that became its landmark. In 1720, the Society of Jesus established the San
Miguel del Carcarañal estate, located on the right bank of river Carcaraña,
on the present-day's territory of Aldao. The estate was a cattle ranch
managed by the Immaculate College of Santa Fe. The San Lorenzo post was
founded near the mouth of brook San Lorenzo. In the aftermath of the
expelling of the Jesuits from the Kingdom of Spain ordered by Charles III
on 30 October 1768, the San Miguel estate was transferred to the government
of Santa Fe, the land being offered for sale in 1774. Francisco de Aldao,
regidor of Santa Fe, acquired several plots, which he shared among his
sons; Félix Aldao was granted a square league of land, where the town of
San Lorenzo would be built.
On 1 January 1789, the San Miguel chapel was transferred to the Order of St. Francis. The order established the San Carlos College as a base for evangelization of the region. In search of a more convenient place, the monks were granted a plot in 1790 by Félix Aldao; the Franciscan community moved to the new premises on 6 May 1796. Order No. 1,052, adopted in 1984 by the Municipal Council of San Lorenzo, proclaimed 6 May 1796 as the official date of foundation of the town.
Santa Fe Province website
The flag of San Lorenzo is prescribed by Order No. 2,940, issued on 8 June 2010 by the Municipal Council.
The official flag of the Municipality of San Lorenzo shall be a white panel charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms established by an Order adopted on 7 May 1948 and promulgated by Decree No. 1,
issued on 24 May 1948 by the Municipal Executive Department, and, optionally, with the writing "MUNICIPALIDAD DE SAN LORENZO" bordering the shield in base. The sash and the cockade shall have the colors of the national flag.
Photo (flag with writing)
The coat of arms of San Lorenzo is oval, a shape recalling the national arms, vertically divided into two equal parts and crossed from lower left to upper right by a wavy ribbon in the national colors. The left part features the San Carlos convent and the historical pine, while a riding grenadier is placed in the lower part, recalling the battle of San Lorenzo. The sun evokes the initiation of the glory of the new Argentine nation. In the right part of the shield, the anchor represents the port of San Lorenzo and the cog wheel represents industry.
Santa Fe Province website
Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019